Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Character Name?

8 years ago

I'm new to this website and I was wondering if there was a way to have a reader type in their character name and have the name be used for the entire "novel"? Is this possible with the already implemented link system or no?

Character Name?

8 years ago

There is, but it's a lot of work for very little payoff.

On-Page Variable Tricks

Character Name?

8 years ago

Really useful guide. Thank you :)

Character Name?

8 years ago
Indeed. A better option that still gives you some customization is to give the reader a list of a few names to choose from.

Character Name?

8 years ago

Yeah, this seems to be a better idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

Character Name?

8 years ago

Type in? As in, an input box? I am fairly certain you can't, but you can create a name system by following the article Berka linked.

Character Name?

8 years ago
Actually I think someone, maybe Bradin, actually made an input like that. I remember someone making a keyboard-like input.

@BradinDvorak

Character Name?

8 years ago

I made it so the buttons are visually in a keyboard-like arrangement, but functionally, it's the same as having a link for each letter. If thatonestrangeoc is talking about having single textbox input where the player can directly type in a full name on one page, I can't help there.

Character Name?

8 years ago

So, you can't even make it so that pressing a letter key triggers the corresponding link?

Character Name?

8 years ago
Maybe with javascript. Document.onkeypress seems to be a thing. In theory you should be able to execute the button that triggers the link when they hit the right key.

Character Name?

8 years ago

Hm...If you could do that for every letter key, set the "go back" link to the back space key and the "continue" link to the enter key, place the usual on-page variable junk at the end of the text, and find a small "blinking cursor" gif to go at the end of the page (i.e. after all the crap the player types), you could probably get somewhere, right?

I mean, I imagine there would be some ugly side-effects, though.

Character Name?

8 years ago

Yep. I've been testing this out a little and it seems to be working, though it could be problematic for fast typers.

Character Name?

8 years ago
It working is really all that matters. You could just have a warning note telling them not to type that fast.

Thats pretty cool though. Lots of potential with arrow keys and movement of sprites.

Character Name?

8 years ago

Or rather not to type anything else until the page loads again.

Character Name?

8 years ago
Nevermind.