Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

CYOA Trials

6 years ago

So awhile back someone tried to make this little CYOA exercise into a game on here. Naturally this was frowned upon since we don’t want people just copy/pasting shit from other sites and passing it off as original work.

However, perfectly fine for us to pontificate about this same CYOA exercise in the forums though.

http://www.funnyjunk.com/channel/cyoa/Cyoa+trials/rgnYLet/

Make your choices and discuss.

Personally I'm not sure why anyone would go for anything other than “The Abyss” though. The risk is minimal and the reward is overpowered.

CYOA Trials

6 years ago
Just start planning your first 10,000 years of tyranny down to the minute detail.

CYOA Trials

6 years ago

I know right? Stay in the Abyss long enough and can easily win a domain the size of a planet or larger.

Someone pointed out you still can't create anything alive in this Abyss reward domain, but you can still get around that limitation by creating things like robots, golems, zombies, etc. which aren't "alive" if you need some company, and you're still able to destroy them at will if you need to.

CYOA Trials

6 years ago
chanbot, thoughts, and darkness...I don't see how my life would change.

CYOA Trials

6 years ago
Finally read through these in detail. Aside from the Abyss, maaaybe I would go for the 'Mystery' challenge and the Forest Shrine, combined with the Book and Mirror perks to help solve it all. It depends on what the sacrifices the shrine demands entail.

Not being able to have pets or wildlife or I assume even plants seems a major a drawback to the Abyss, though it's otherwise the most attractive option. All the others are out to kill you even before the challenge comes in to try and kill you harder.

And...actually, reading it again, if when you're done with the Abyss you can teleport in and out of your domain at will like with the others, even not being able to create living things isn't an issue. Just bring a bunch of plants and animals back with you and set up an ecosystem. (Or people I guess...but why?)

Some of the rules aren't clearly explained, like I'm not sure if you get to pick perks with the Abyss. I guess most of them you could duplicate yourself if you hung around long enough, but the clock in particular seems really useful. Even the most weaksauce failed attempt at sticking it out in the infinite blackness would net you I assume, at least the ability to create the equivalent of a nice hotel room. Combine that with the 1 day=1 minute on Earth perk and you've got a sweet little retreat.

I'd probably ask for a chart or something showing time in Abyss matched up against the reward plan before committing still, since it's all frustratingly vague.

(This thread was made by a necromancer, thus 'necroing' accusations don't apply, all you little bitches please keep them to yourselves.)

CYOA Trials

6 years ago

You don't get any extra perks with Abyss. It's basically a "you get what you put into it" type deal. 

You stay in their long enough and you can potentially get a domain the size of a planet that you can shape at will. That's the reward. You'd just have to mentally keep track of time in your head as soon as you got there.

CYOA Trials

6 years ago
I didn't mean a way to help you keep track of time, that would be taking away the major challenge there.

Afterwards when you've got your domain set up, that clock that adjusts the flow of time relative to Earth time would be super handy though. Something similar has actually been an ability in a story I started once and I have always been jealous as fuck of the protagonist for having it.

Damn, I want this to be real now. Sign me the fuck up, I am stoked to float around and think about things and afterwards design cute little houses for robots.

CYOA Trials

6 years ago

Eh, this seems shit, I might just not do it. The Abyss is just leading to anyone going insane when it turns out these decades they wasted in there was a few hours and they end up with a fancy hotel room where they're completely on their own. I might just do that, in the knowledge that I might be able to get something small without straining myself, and if not, fuck it, but I'm a people person, so I'll pass. Seems like a silly choice, anyhow. Anyone with a good imagination can basically do the same as with the Abyss, except without the trial and with imagined people.

The domains all seemed fairly cool, until you realize they're lacking in plumbing and electricity, even internet, unless you waste two gifts on it. I suppose I'd have to go Exploration and Pirate's Island, because then Find the Island is what's going on, and worst case scenario, I still have the entire boat which would be easy to look about, and fuck it, I don't care if I miss some more water as I'll have enough to sail around for craic. Anyhow, sailing's terrific and that'll let me survive and win over the others. Forest Shrine seemed interesting, but the last thing I need is it demanding I sacrifice my eyes or some bullshit, so fuck that.

I don't know how the book works, and if I could just imagine the path to the island and then just sail directly there. If so, that's my first choice, along with Electricity and Clock. I'll take Sins as a Drawback because that seems weak and I doubt they've much to use. If it doesn't, give me weather, since weather includes tides and the sea, so I'm golden forever after I get through this.