Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

December Contest: Witch Prompt (34)

6 years ago

I'm not sure what sort of updates I should be doing, or if there's a way to get a word count total on my story without copying all the parts into a single word doc and using it's word counter.  But I'll at least try.

6 years ago

November 30th: I've reached at least one ending, though it's an early one.  I have 7 pages in my list with varying degrees of 'finish' to them.

December 1st: 2731 words spread over 19 pages.  2 minor endings completed.

December 2nd: 3123 words spread over 19 pages.  3 minor endings completed.

December 4th: 5646 words spread over 26 pages.  5 minor endings completed.

December 12th: 8414 words spread over 26 pages.  7 minor endings completed.

December 15th: 11026 words spread over 28 pages.  9 minor endings completed.

December 17th: 12207 words spread over 28 pages.  10 minor endings completed.

December 22nd: 13302 words spread over 30 pages.  11 minor endings completed.

December 30th: 14829 words spread over 30 pages.  12 minor endings completed.

January 7th: 18254 words spread over 30 pages.  12 minor endings completed.  1 major ending completed.

(Don't respond to this comment so I can keep updating, as this seems to be the general trend for this kind of post.)

6 years ago
If you want a rough estimate of your word count, go to the main story page of the story you're working on and hover over the ?/8 area next to play length.

6 years ago

Ooooo; thanks for that!  Took me a bit to actually check it out because 'hovering' doesn't wok well on my phone. 

Actually, come to think of it, I can't even post properly on my phone, which kinda sucks.  I can play games okay, but posting on the forums won't work and if I want to comment on a story, it has to be short or the button to submit the comment disappears.

6 years ago
If you're using Chrome on your phone, drop down the menu in the top right and select Request Desktop Site to fix the forums issue.

The button disappearing when writing a longer post or review is a huge annoyance but you can hit the back button and then go forward again--or else just scroll down and click to someone's profile and then back again--and the page resets the edit box at the right size again while still saving what you typed. (Though I usually copy it first just to be safe.)

6 years ago

Thanks for those fixes.  I'll probably just write my reviews and save them in the onsite notepad and add them once I get to my desktop or laptop.  Still, it's good to know I can do that if I need to. :)

6 years ago

I started out relatively strong, but now I have a horrendous cold.  My head feels so stuffy and my throat so raw and my nose so drippy that it's hard to think about my witch whore.

6 years ago

I'm totally struggling with this still.  I keep waffling on the amount of detail I should be giving, as well as how much dialogue.  So far I seem to be 'telling' more than 'showing', which seems to be a long term struggle of mine according to all writing sites I've been on.  Not sure how to kick it.

6 years ago

Thanks again for the links; I read them both through.  And while I might not be able to live up to the advice, I think at this point I shouldn't overthink it at all, and just work on getting enough paths and pages to make a somewhat coherent story, even if it isn't great.

6 years ago
It will be great because it has to be great! Now back to work, you!

6 years ago

Ease up on the slave whip there fella.  ;)

There's been a lot of kids here lately.  I figure I won't get much more done until the weekend, alas.

6 years ago
I'm sorry, I'd offer advice but I'm employing a strict 'fuck the competition' strategy after my terrible mistakes with that devious and manipulative Crescent.

6 years ago

You've made no mistakes.

:(

6 years ago
I can sense you trying to manipulate me with that little sad face right now, damn you're good at this.

6 years ago

That's okay.  But not everyone on the site is in the competition, so I figure it's fair game to ask for help from the neutral parties.  I wouldn't expect anyone to help the competition.  Probably won't stop me any, but I also don't have any illusions about winning; I'm just doing it to push myself.  Having a deadline increases the odds of me finishing.  And if I can even manage to get past the rating bar, I'll be content.

6 years ago

Bah.  The only thing I've done lately is find a name for the village my nascent witch-whore is from.  Sigh.

6 years ago
Progress is progress!

6 years ago

Indeed.  Also I transferred over my whole story from the classic editor to the advanced one.  I didn't want to just convert it in case I lost something, so I copy/pasted everything into word, then back into each window for the advanced editor.  Which took some time, of course.  I probably could have waited until the contest was over, but the classic editor forces you to save and exit each time instead of just letting you save, and it was driving me batty.

6 years ago

I'm wondering how strict the requirement for posting twice a week is.  I mean, if I'm close, but not on the dot, will I be disqualified?

6 years ago

Some haven't even bothered with an update thread, so I think you're good.

6 years ago

It doesn't hurt to be cautious.  Though, I suppose at this point, it doesn't matter.  Either I finish the task on time, or I don't, and even if I don't finish it on time, I should still try to finish the story anyhow.

6 years ago

That is a great mindset to have here.