Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

World Events 2: Nuclear Boogaloo

5 years ago

Might as well keep up with the latest in global chaos.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/08/world/europe/france-paris-riots-yellow-vest.html

I know we got at least one Frenchy here (Mazdark) to possibly elaborate on this situation if needed assuming he hasn't currently been tear gassed and thrown in jail for re-enacting the modern Les Mis.

5 years ago
Yeah he's mentioned this a few times. He's been quiet the last few days come to think of it but maybe he's just building homemade guillotines in his basement.

Anyway if they're just destroying random people's stores now it sounds like this thing has lost focus so despite being initially sympathetic I'm back to my usual position of 'fuck rioters.'

5 years ago
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_incidents_of_civil_unrest_in_France

Interestingly, the French have rioted more in the last 18 years than they did in the entire past century. The 2006 one is the only one I remember hearing about from that list, like a million college students were burning cars and blockading roads and shit and it took them three months to get it under control because iirc they were pissy that employers were now allowed to fire people who sucked. Aside from monogamy, nothing appalls the French more than the idea of having to actually work at work.

5 years ago

@mazdark are you at the Conciergerie yet?

Btw yesterday they even blocked the frontier with Italy at Ventimiglia lol.

5 years ago

It’s great. I hope they oust Macron before it’s over.

A bit of context

5 years ago

tl;dr in bold
I'm mainly speaking of what impacted Macron's ratings negatively. The main positive things for him were his foreign policies and appearances (like the "make the planet great again" bs)

My hypothesis is that the strikes are coming from - or at least are mainly fueled by the distrust in the political class, and against the government. The anger from the taxes is there, obviously, but I'm not sure there is something to be said about it.

• may 2017 : Macron is elected, held in high esteem by the medias, hated by few and liked by some . Takes office immediately (that's how it works in France) and have the support of some really popular personalities (in sciences, environment, and culture)
  • sept 2017 :
    • his majority pass a lot of laws that: add leniency to companies when firing people,  diminishes the power of unions, weakens the labour legislation 
    • people get angry , but his election being quite recent his approval ratings are quite unscathed
    • he makes some snarky comments against protesters and unemployed, seen as "talking truth" by some medias
    • fires the Chief of defence because the guy said he disagreed with the budget. That's seen as unjust/as a proof of strength
  • sept 2017 - april 2018 : more snarky comments, sometime against the whole nation.
  • 1may 2018 : one of the bodygard - security chief of macron working for his party is seen dressed as a cop (illegal), beating up two seemingly innocent bystanders during the traditionnal demonstration on national labour day . The investigation is botched, the guy ordered three cops to destroy evidence, ask a friend to break the police seal and hides some weapons, etc. The senate and the National assembly launch probes, and the majority botch the one from the national assembly.
    • macron does not react. and finally throw some snarky comment
    • macron adds that he  "assumes" the responsability. But he has presidential protection against all inquiry and can't be prosecuted. He throw a provocation "If they want someone to be held responsible, he is standing in front of you. Come and get me ". oh boy.
  • june-august : some public college president let far right militia(with crowbars and bats) enter a building to kick the asses of demonstrating students. Someone fall in coma after falling from a building . 
    • the governement fail to respond to that, and is quite criticized

and that's where the shit hits the fan. His ratings take something like -8 (wich was still ok-ish)

• 4 september: 
    • the minister of ecological transition, former tv star, loved by all (really) resigns on air , claiming he was fighting for ecology alone, without any regard or help from the rest of the gov. He mainly blames the people, saying that if everyone was involved the gov would have helped him. And that the lobbys destroyed every hope of progress in this part.? French people are getting pissed. That's another -10 for the president.
    • the highschoolers dislike their reform 
  • 11 november
    • macron pay respects to a WW1 "hero" that received "national indignity" and had been sentenced to death(not applied) for colluding with the Third Reich and helping them deporting and killing jews.

And this was a fucking mistake. Pétain is the personification of the shameful collusion with hitler and I can't empathize enough how he's despised. Bringing his name to a discussion with French people is probably the worst thing you can do. Worse than just saying we got our asses kicked and surrendered quickly.

At the same time the gas is getting really expensive, around 6$/gal and macron is seen as an arrogant fucker, now most despised political figure in France, according to some polls. with around 27% approval.

some retards make a Facebook page saying we should block the country the 17 nov, and voila, someone lit the powder barrel. 

A bit of context

5 years ago
The security chief beating up random people while dressed as a cop is news to me and the funniest fucking thing I've read today, holy shit I can't even imagine reactions to that.

A bit of context

5 years ago
I would have thought you would have been most amused by the militia beating up protesters with bats and crowbars.

5 years ago
Well at least Egypt is doing it's part to ensure this doesn't spread.