Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Honor Among Thieves

4 years ago
You dart across the rooftops, loot in hand. With your dark clothes and the hood of your cloak pulled up to hide your scarlet hair, freckled skin and emerald green eyes, you blend in with the night.

The loot you carry will ensure you and your friends in the Thieves' Guild have everything you need for the month, but it doesn't weigh you down at all. A simple brass key, tomorrow night it will unlock the storeroom of a fat merchant who thinks he's grown too important to make "donations" to the town orphanage.

The Thieves' Guild, ignoring the name, does a lot of good in Redlion and most people are smart enough to recognize that. The ones that aren't soon find their pockets empty and themselves in need of the help they refused others.

Not that your friends are running a charity. But the wealthy are wealthy enough to give to the poor and for the Guild to take its cut too.

You are stopping to check that no one is watching as you get near the house your friends are staying in, crouching out of sight behind some crates on a flat stone roof when you hear arguing below.

"Just get out of here! What else can you want from me?" This voice you recognize as old Mr. Thorpen, the owner of the shop you're currently crouching of the roof of.

"More coin will do." says a smirking voice. You can't see who it belongs to from here.

"I've paid what I owe. This is robbery!"

"What do you call that shipment of Tenada wine you just got in? You didn't pay a dime for that, not even for a license to sell it." Another voice growls.

"I don't know what you're talking about! There is no wine, you're mistaken!" Mr. Thorpen sounds frightened now and you find yourself growing angry. The shopkeeper was liked by everyone in the neighborhood, always giving sweets to the orphans and poor kids who hung around his store when others would be more likely to call the guards to drive them off.

There is a crashing sound and the door swings open, and two men drag Thorpen out, throwing him on the ground and viciously kicking him. You have to do something to help!

You think to yourself that you can either push one of the crates next to you down to try and hit one of them, or else just jump right down and attack while they're distracted.

Honor Among Thieves

4 years ago
It's for the contest.

Honor Among Thieves

4 years ago
It's supposed to be thieves but now I can't edit. >_<

Honor Among Thieves

4 years ago
I fixed it.

Anyway, too bad about the dragon story but it sounded like you are still going to try and finish it later at least. And this looks interesting, so good luck! I'd advise planning to keep it small this time.

Honor Among Thieves

4 years ago
Thanks! I will still publish Firefly Festival, it's just too big to finish on time now. I joined this contest because I wanted to prove that I can write a good story and finish it on time for myself or for anyone who thinks otherwise. I don't know if this game will exactly be small, but it will be faster to write because I'm not planning a lot of scripting this time.

RealKuriosIasoun hasn't logged in since October 28th and never wrote anything at all even though he was here since April, so I don't care about him anymore.

Honor Among Thieves

4 years ago
Pronounced Kai-lee?

Honor Among Thieves

4 years ago
Kaylee, but I think I'll change it now since I just realized what a terrible name that is for someone in a fantasy story.

Honor Among Thieves

4 years ago
Her name is Caelani now, like Say La Nee.

Honor Among Thieves

4 years ago
I'm up to three endings.

Honor Among Thieves

4 years ago
Word count?

Honor Among Thieves

4 years ago
I don't know how to tell. I'm just writing it on the site.

Honor Among Thieves

4 years ago
When you open the storygame description page, scroll over the "?" by length. It'll give an approximate word count.

Honor Among Thieves

4 years ago
Looks like she's at about 3500.

Honor Among Thieves

4 years ago
I've written 1000 more and I have 20 pages now.

Honor Among Thieves

4 years ago
There are 4 bad endings, 2 good endings, and 1 evil ending so far.

Honor Among Thieves

4 years ago
You are amazing!! I am 7,000 words and still in the first part of the game. You have a great mind

Honor Among Thieves

4 years ago

We seem to have a similar problem. I'm at about 11,000 words and I only have two short bad endings, and I'm hardly into the main part of the story.

Honor Among Thieves

4 years ago
I can only use my computer for school for the next week, but I got the story to 6,500 words last night, and I need seven more pages to be halfway finished.

Honor Among Thieves

4 years ago
Well, if you're bored and want to work on the story regardless, you could always write it with pen and paper that week and type it up later.

Honor Among Thieves

4 years ago
I'm not sure if school kids are taught what those are anymore.

Honor Among Thieves

4 years ago

>pen and paper

Mizal is right, school never taught us these words that I assume are Latin? Just a guess 

Honor Among Thieves

4 years ago
Okay, I'm curious now. How much time do you spend on computers in school? In contrast to time spent doing work on boring old paper?

Honor Among Thieves

4 years ago

At my high school we use iPads for a lot of things, but in math and science I take all of my notes on paper. We also do writing on paper for english, and take all of our math and science tests on paper. So we actually use pen/pencil and paper a lot more often than you'd think.

I am, however, typing this from my iPad while in Spanish class, so we still use computer-esque things quite a lot.

Honor Among Thieves

4 years ago
In my day, it was a very special occasion when the computers were brought out. And you had better not touch them with too much vigor. Actually, best not to touch them at all. Or breathe on them.

Honor Among Thieves

4 years ago

Pretty much the same. Most assignments are on computers, though we use google classroom to keep track of assignments and have our own iPads. I would say we use pen and paper 75 percent of the time