Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Taking Requests

14 years ago

I'm new here and I'd like everyone to know that my imagination well is running dry.  But that's okay!  I have an entire forum of people to help me out, don't I?

What are some things that you'd like to see in a new storygame?  Are there any particular settings, themes, characters, tropes, or ideas that you haven't seen anyone else do?  Since I'm starting a new story I might as well make one that has elements that you'd all want to experience, no?

Personally, I think stories that allow me to not pick up a weapon (as opposed to choosing which weapon to pick up) and yet continue to the very end are missing on this site.  So if I make a story I think I'll leave that option open.

But what about all of you?  Is there anything you'd like to see?  Here's your chance to say so!

Taking Requests

14 years ago

Nope.  No one here will help you.  We're all dicks like that.  Try IS.

Haha, just messin' with you.  But really, just write what you think is a good story.  If it's well done, people will like it... so, it's better to write what you're most comfortable with and what you want to see (otherwise, you'll get bored of writing it will either give up or half-ass it -- bad) instead of trying to accommodate others' tastes.

That's the best advice I've got to give.

Taking Requests

14 years ago
If you're looking for free advice from strangers on the internet, you've come to the right place.

I can't give you any story ideas, but I do have some thoughts on branching plot fiction. In an effort to avoid actually writing, I came up with a set of rules that I could follow to ensure a story free of the things I object to in other BPF works. These are copied directly from my personal notes, so don't let the tone offend you!

The Golden Rule: Branching plot fiction is literature. It is not a game. It should be written to entertain or enlighten the reader. It can only become a game if the reader approaches the work in that particular context.

The Rule of Choices: A choice between a negative and positive option is easy. Equally so, is the choice between two positives. The most difficult decisions, and the ones that require the most consideration, are between two negative options.

1) All paths should read as a complete story, interesting in it's own right.

2) Avoid recombining paths. Choices should influence the story. A recombined path, especially to a node the reader has visited before (possibly from a previous reading, and from a different path) destroys the readers sense of control. While there may be situations where recombining paths is good for the reader or the story, they should be generally avoided.

3) The reader should be well informed before making a choice. A blind or uninformed choice leaves the reader feeling powerless.

4) Avoid purely navigational choices. The reader is exploring a narrative space, not a virtual physical space.

5) Story graphs should be acyclic. Tree structures are preferred.

Taking Requests

14 years ago
Very well put. Follow those pointers and you cant go wrong. You may, however, need to recombine paths at some points to preserve your sanity.

Taking Requests

14 years ago

Pretty much nailed it, drichardson.

Basically, Guanyin, make a story premise, then spend time developing that story so that there a multiple paths and endings. Mix it up. Experiment if you must. Take your time.

Taking Requests

14 years ago

I don't know... His tone offends me.

Taking Requests

14 years ago

Your mother offends me.

Seriously, wtf are you talking about?

Taking Requests

14 years ago

"These are copied directly from my personal notes, so don't let the tone offend you!"

Taking Requests

14 years ago

Penis.

I mean, alright.

Taking Requests

14 years ago
"I'm an atheist, a feminist, a pacifist, and a progressive.  I'm about as far left on the political spectrum as one can be.  No doubt these things will affect my storygames as well as how I comment on others."

Yikes, I'm pretty sure she's going to hate all of my stories. Lol.

Anyway, just adding to the stuff drichardson said, from your profile I'd also say for story idea it's best to stay close to what you know and like.

For example make your protagonist a female diplomat that's trying to bring peace between two warring races over some stupid minor difference in religion. You mentioned you liked Sci-fi and fantasy so you could easily have such a scenario in one of those settings.

Taking Requests

14 years ago

Ha!  Yeah, I've played through some of yours.  I'm in the middle of Necromancer, now.  I like to wait until I've made it to the end several times before I make my comments, though.  (c:

The more I write my own story the more I like the idea of combining fantasy and science fiction.  You know, magic and lasers.  It worked in Star Wars, am I right?

As for what I like?  I like realism, mostly.  Well, as realistic as you can be with zombies or mecha.  For example, I like it when a character is twenty hours into a zombie apocalypse, trapped in a basement, and starts to worry about where she's going to take a piss.  I haven't read anything like that on this site (even though there are plenty of zombie stories!)  Or she's got to put down her sister, now a zombie, and how she can't function normally again for the rest of the story because of the shock (can you imagine what it must be to do that to someone you know and love?). 

Mindlessly killing rebels/zombies/guards and the such really, really take me out of a story.  I mean, killing a human being should have some emotional impact on a character, no?  It shouldn't be as easy as breaking into the bank, shooting the guard (who loses 15 HP so is now dead), and then jumping over the counter to get to the safe.  That guard had a life, a family, and you just took it away from him!  To me, the story lies there, with the murder.  It isn't with the bank robbery or the get away (where, of course, a dozen cops are probably killed in shootouts and a high speed chase).  

The point of asking "what do you guys want?" here in the OP was to see what you all want and then try to do it as realistically as possible.  If you want spaceships then I'll write about a lowly ship's mechanic who is always fixing the broken port thruster while saving money to take his wife on a vacation instead of the charismatic captain who talks to foreign leaders and beams down to fight cyborgs every other week. 

Right now, my idea is for the reader to play a character in one of two rival nations.  Soon after the story starts there will be some kind of disaster (or something; I'm not there, yet) that will let the character become some sort of hero or villain.  Then, of course, there will be the option for the character to completely ignore the Big Plot and do his/her own thing while shit happens in the background.

What kind of shit?  What kind of disaster?  What kind of rival nations?  I dunno.  That's where I'd like some help from you folks.

Taking Requests

14 years ago
Well, I'd say you should just do what you want to do since it sounds like you have the basic plot and just need to work out the detail which will eventually come to you.

Don't worry too much about what other people might want to see. Everyone here will pretty much read whatever new story is posted. Their enjoyment of it will mostly depend on how well its written rather than the subject matter.

Taking Requests

14 years ago

Well, Dr. Ichardson, I thank you for advice.  I think I'll change #5 from a tree structure to a flower structure, though.  It looks prettier in my mind and it kinda gives the impression that the reader can go any-which-way instead of always forward.  (c:

Taking Requests

14 years ago
d-rich -- well put, it's great to see a new user with such potential actually and you pretty much nailed it (no Anubis, I'm not copying you - stfu).

Taking Requests

14 years ago

What kind of game ideas do you want exactly?  Sci-Fi?  Fantasy Adventure?  Edutainment?  Horror?  Be specific.