Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Nothing like the book!

13 years ago

why doesn't anyone ever write on here? Anyway, I read "The Lightning Thief" and it was awesome! But the movie was practically nothing like the book! Why do directors never make it at least near the same???

Nothing like the book!

13 years ago
The book was good when I read it, but I was a lot younger. Haven't read them in forever. That's the Percy Jackson series right?

Nothing like the book!

13 years ago

that's right!

Nothing like the book!

13 years ago

My nephew read the series last year - he said they were great.  Dunno how he feels about the movie though.

I haven't read/seen it, personally.

Nothing like the book!

13 years ago

The book's better.

Nothing like the book!

13 years ago

Haha, ok.

Nothing like the book!

13 years ago

The movie was absolutly nothing like the book. It wasnt even close, ever. There wasnt a sigle scene unalterd. the plot line was even fundamentally changed.

Nothing like the book!

13 years ago

they didn't have percy jumping out the window into the pond either. i wanted to see that!

Nothing like the book!

13 years ago

i reda like the whole series, found it awesome, and when me and my sis watched the movie?

Total letdown!!!!!! annabeth is a blonde with GREY eyes, not whatever she looked like in the movie.

Nothing like the book!

13 years ago

and Grover had acne and i'm pretty sure he wasn't african american (sorry if that sounded racist. didn't mean for it to, just didn't know how to say that....)

Nothing like the book!

13 years ago
Technically, I think that's the current politically correct term.

Nothing like the book!

13 years ago
I hate PC so much haha.

Nothing like the book!

13 years ago
Oh, so do I. Just saying that its rather unlikely that someone will come along and accuse her of being racist if she obviously worded what she said specifically to not offend anyone.

The thing I dislike most about political correctness is that you likely weren't going to offend too many people anyway. Except crazies (Like there was this person who emailed Whoopi Goldberg angry at her, and called her a racist, because during an episode of 'The View' she had said that Barack Obama had gotten a "black" dog) and with crazies, there's almost nothing you could have done anyway.

Nothing like the book!

13 years ago
Moreover, political correctness lends too much power to otherwise harmless words. Furthermore, by so obviously avoiding the subject, it actually makes the topic more prominent. Imagine a family reunion, just after a prominent member of the family came out of the closet as a homosexual. If everyone refrains from talking about relationships, and gays, it becomes very obvious that the family member is on their mind and that they are uncomfortable. This leads to the gay guy becoming more uncomfortable. If, instead, everyone relaxed, cracked a few jokes and generally just acted like it wasn't a big deal: IT ACTUALLY WOULDN'T BE! That's my take, anyway.

Nothing like the book!

13 years ago

Weird how one sentence can make a conversation from a book series to a movie to racism. :P

Nothing like the book!

13 years ago

has anyone read the lost hero yet?

Nothing like the book!

13 years ago

I'm in the middle of it. I'm up to the part about Boreas. Or whatever his name is.

Nothing like the book!

13 years ago

YA! i loved that book, after a couple of chapters i mannage to look past its somewhat lower age bracket and enjoyed it for what it was. looking forward to the next one.

Nothing like the book!

13 years ago

They still haven't made the second one?!?! geez, hope the book lasts!

Nothing like the book!

13 years ago

I have never seen the movie, but I have read all the books in that series and one of the series that branched off of it and I absolutely loved them

Nothing like the book!

13 years ago

the month the next one is coming out has allready been anounced. :)

Nothing like the book!

13 years ago

yay! :D

Nothing like the book!

13 years ago

which month is it?

Nothing like the book!

13 years ago

I've read the entie Percy Jackson and the Olympians series ans have the series with me. Like a lot of people, I was severely disappointed at the movie and do not plan to see The Sea of Monster. At least, that's the story I will stick to until it shows up on my televison screen in a preview.

Nothing like the book!

13 years ago
I've read the first four books. I didn't know that there were related series' though.

Nothing like the book!

13 years ago

read the 5th percy jackson series and read "The Lost Hero" which is the relative series.

basically, 3 demigods are found (jason, piper, and leo). jason lost his memory, piper is his gf, and leo is their friend. also, Percy has disappeared!

Nothing like the book!

13 years ago

technically she's not his gf...