Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Powers

11 years ago

Anyone think that supernatural or any sort of power might be real? Since seeing the werewolves/ vampires thread, I felt like discussing this in a semi-serious tone.

Without further ado, allow me to emphasize on the reason I have brought this up. I have always been fascinated by powers. Not really any particular powers but just simply powers in general. Time Travel, telekinesis, psychic abilities, magic, etc - You get what I mean.

And so...

1. Do you believe if it is possible for people to gain power via any means? Strange Ritual, constant practices or even science?

2. If you can have one power, what would you choose to have?

3. What would you do with that power?

4. How or what do you think you would do to gain certain powers or abilities?

And so on and so forth.

Powers

11 years ago

1. I would like if it was possible. I mean our life would be more interesting, more full and also more dangerous. And probably shorter. Yup, that too. Human can turn every single thing in a weapon, so I can see governments controlling these things, fighting for control (for their own good) etc.

The only thing I would find feasible are some mind powers. Telekinesis, telepathy, empathy, pyromancy etc. Although I don't think time travel is special power... just a use of technology. Theoretical technology which probably will never exist. Or it may exist if theory about alternative universes is viable.

2. Telepathy. It's easy enough to hide and grants some benefits - both in long and short term. This could lead to some interesting things.

3. Hell if I know. Probably use it for my own benefit and try to escape people who would hunt such 'abnormals'.

4. Mutation? It's probably the only feasible way to get such powers. So either mutation at birth which appears at certain age or maybe some kind of nanoagent which changes genetic structure of people. Thus making something that is not human anymore.

Powers

11 years ago

1. I do not believe in the gaining of powers, per se.  I think some people have a natural intuition or sensitivity to certain forces, but nothing that would ever get close to the science-fiction or fantasy level.  As far as science goes, I think that with understandings of the brain increasing, it might be easier to train people better to use their minds, but again, I don't think it will ever reach the level of the stories and movies.

2. If we're going on the full spectrum of powers, I would love to have the ability to heal people.  I have a strong aversion to pain personally and I hate to see people suffer.

3. I would heal people, of course.  Though, such a resource would probably be in demand, so I'd have to find a way to protect myself, or at least keep my ability on the down low.  I would be more likely to help the people who were either critical, or those who don't have the funds to get the best medical care.  After all, I would only be one woman against the huge number of other human beings that are suffering...and I would probably spend my life with a lot of guilt over the people I didn't have a chance to save.

4. Since this is entirely in the realm of fiction for me, I don't know what I would do to get these powers.  That's why fiction is so beautiful; it allows us to see life in another way, a theoretical way, and apply our own human natures to it.

Powers

11 years ago

1.  it might be possible.

2. the power to fly or maybe super strength

3. i would become a super hero, saving people's lives

4. i'm not for sure on that one

Powers

11 years ago

1. There's black magic, but please, people, don't bother checking it. I think it's awful.

2. I'd like to have a power to choose whatever power I need for a certain situation. LOL. but seriously, I'd like Jean Grey's power. yes

3. oh to save kittens hanging from trees. And any other noble acts of heroism.

4. that's...kind of....scary question. I mean, I think I won't sell my soul or what just to have the powers. If constant practice will do, then that's what I'll do.

Powers

11 years ago

2. The Power Of Not Staying Dead? :P

4. Come on, it's just one soul for a whole lifetime of fun! And considering superheroine you've chosen staying dead will be short. And then again to dance!

Powers

11 years ago

1. If there is powers, then it is definatley given from birth, or ridiculously high religious affinity. (im talking about modern day of course. My religious belief does beleive in prophets and super powered people) I know one person who can "curse' people and it affects them. Of course, this could be coincidence, but when someone is cursed to have a cold, break a leg, or get hurt, and it happens every time, I would rule out coincidence. 

2. If anything, I'd like a better version of prophecy. Every once in a while I have a dream of something occuring, and it does, but it's all hinted and such. It would be much better to be actually able to tell the future without the guess work. I have never been able to actually decipher my dreams until later, so ut may just be me imagining things.

Powers

11 years ago

And your answers for 3 and 4?

Powers

11 years ago

I'd think that for 3, what I would do with prophecy is pretty obvious, and with 4, I wouldn't really do anything. It would be neat, but it's definatley not something I'd work hard for. I'm not a fan of having powers, since it would make you be very separate from the rest of the world. 

Powers

11 years ago

so, you will just wake up one day, and notice that your gorious 'stache just became a "prophecy antenna" or something (that is, it receives signals from the future) then you just interpret the signals...

Powers

11 years ago

Sure.

Powers

11 years ago

1. I believe that science would eventually "unlock" some powers but nothing too supernatural.

2.Hmm....    I think I'd have to go with Pewterarm powers from Mistborn. It would make so many think easier for me in life.

3. Become an excellent track runner though "dragging" (A kind of long-distance running training for pewter misting.) and maybe become a soldier or something? I'd have to be careful in the army though, don't want to be dissected for my super genes.

4. No selling my soul, not worth it. Maybe I'd "*snap" one day or something?

*Snap= extremely high level of stress or traumatic event unlocks the misting/mistborn powers. According to the books so maybe that would be how I gain the power?

Powers

11 years ago

3rd Clarke Law:

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Powers

11 years ago

True enough.  What was once seen as magic now has scientific explainations.

Powers

11 years ago

1. Yeah...

2. Me?  Foresee the future.  I get to f up EVERYTHING with a single action >:D

3. ^

4. Think, a LOT.

Powers

11 years ago

Was not expecting people to actually give me some rather decent and amazing answer so... I shall also partake and answer my own question. :D

1. Yes. I actually do believe in such thing mainly because I like the idea of able to gain abilities via certain means however I do not act out these means... well, maybe I do try at home but nothing too drastic. :P

2. If I can have one power, I would choose telekinetic. I can use it to make myself strong, levitate myself and fly and do all sort of fun stuff - Like flying, bending light to make myself invisible NOT to peep on girls :3, splitting the red sea and etc.

3. I would go for world domination. Either that or building an island paradise for myself and friends...?

4. Personally, I tend to think that telekinetic powers comes from the mind and meditation might help train your mind and stuff? So, I try to meditate as much as possible out of my schedule (Hard to with school and etc).

Well, that's that and so, why don't you people start asking question related to powers? If you have any question regarding it, why not post here and see what answer you might get? Provided that the All-Mighty War between the mustache and penguins don't come here. :P

Powers

11 years ago

That's the same power I'd like to have. but to bend light? I haven't imagined that, but it does make sense, you know, physics of light and stuff.

But since you mentioned the 'stache-'guin war.....just wait for it......i can feel it coming....

Powers

11 years ago

Well it's kinda interesting question. Because theoretically it should be possible... but when I start questioning - how. If I remember correctly any kind of camouflage/light bending needs to get one thing straight. You're not 'bending' anything. You transport light from a place 'behind' your character to place 'in front' of it... thus making an illusion of nothing being there. If you just bend the light particles that could touch you then ending effect would be walking black hole (not the one of the kind which destroys planets... but still). And because you're already repelling light particles inside of your invisibility cloak would be only darkness. So... stumbling around while invisible.

That is why any kind of invisibility which isn't based on hallucination (poisoning minds of others) or technology (said camouflage) seems a bit weird.

That's my semi-real answer :P.

Anyway telekinesis is very conscious power - anyone using it probably needs to be constantly on watch, to not squish anything, to not fly too fast and lose consciousness, etc, etc. Just a food for thought :D

Powers

11 years ago

Exactly :D in theory, it's possible, light is made up of particles and they have wavelength, but then how could we control / "bend" waves without disrupting the outside, already proven, factors? Like the black hole, as initially believed as "the great engulfing darkness".

I guess we need to use some prisms to "bend light" more like white light. and stumbling while invisible? Can't I telekinesize [whatta word?] myself up straight so that I won't stumble? [stupid question, but hey, F-A-N-T-A-S-Y].

yes, that kind of superpower requires high brain activity, but then, since it's a superpower, then the effort needed for this could be lessened.... {I'm thinking of superpowers as gift that won't require extra effort on our end}.

Powers

11 years ago

Or maybe moving these light particles at very fast speed? Well it would be good to ask again about what telekinetist can feel. What is the border of their sixth sense? Is it like another hand, so you can control it that way? Or maybe it's based on eyesight? (as we are creatures which rely on it very much). In any case it could work with walking around, but then again - aiming in a door would be kinda hard, right? :P. Even when we get working with 'seeing' the world through power. Well I guess you would make some kind of a periscope... or a machine to go around it? Would work... but it's kind of hard.

Well yeah I get it that more brain activity is normal for this power. Buuuuuut there is problem with conscious usage. Just like using your hand doesn't need much effort, but people who are too strong can damage somebody because they don't know how it may hurt. I was thinking this kind of effort ;). Because if you can't feel 'the power' you can't judge how much do you need to use :D. Lol, I don't know if I'm clear enough... I'll make a paint picture if I feel like :P. After I deal with my work.

Powers

11 years ago

I see what you mean. maybe the first few days, you would really have to work on it, to control it, to know how much harm it could do.. And then, once you do have control over it, the tendency to damage others gets slim.

Powers

11 years ago

Yup, just like Wolverine in the movie gets to use his claws for the first time - hilarity ensues :D. But of course such misfire could always end worse.

Powers

11 years ago

I'd tend to agree with Mynoris about the first question; I certainly don't think any of the things I'd choose as superpowers would be plausible though, which would probably be something kick-ass like fire-bending or being able to go all Wolverine or something. If I did have superpowers, I'd like to think I would use them to better the world and save kittens in trees and things, but probably I'd just end up screwing around and accidentally burning something down. As far as how'd I'd go about getting them... I can't really think of a single pleasant way... maybe there's a superpower god out there somewhere that I can pray really hard to and it'll just let me have my way because I'll be amusing.

Powers

11 years ago

Congratulations, you have made yourself elligible for becoming Dendrin's next Shadow! Report yourself to the Nearest Shadow-Master and join your Brother's&Sister's in the fight for survival! :)

Sorry, your last line was too well set up for me to resist. xD

Powers

11 years ago

I didn't even think of that but that's a good point.

Powers

11 years ago

That was just awesome!

Powers

11 years ago

Powers are just a science we don't yet understand. Also:

1. I belive that if enough people belive in something, it's more likely that it wil be true... so in today's age, no. But there is hope for the future...
  2. Shapeshifting. It's what I've dreamed of since is was, like, 5.
  3. I would use it to get a different vew on the world.
  4. Actually... Well, I'm being totally serious here, but I think that I may already have them, I just don't know how to use them. Just a couple of days ago, I was thinking about cats, and my friend swore that he saw my eyes go all cat-like. True story.

Powers

11 years ago

You are then shot by a hunter in the forest one day and eaten...

Powers

11 years ago

Awwww... But wait, how am I still posting? Yes! I AM a CYS demon!

EDIT (to avoid replying to my own message): Ok, things have gotten creepier. Doors have started locking themselves when I go to lock them.

Powers

11 years ago

1. The only ones I think would be possible are the ones to do with the mind

2. The ability to grant wishes all and as many as you want 

3. Help out you know just make the world a better place ( along with some stuff to make me feel better)

4. Radiation I very into science and know tampering with time, life, radiation poisoning can have some pretty adverse affects on the molecules and atoms of our very being. Like a mutated brain that could create things by imagining them it would be awesome and horrible at the same time.

Powers

11 years ago

1. Nope, except for science. Men can already make themselves faster and stronger through science. They're called steroids.

2. I'd want to read people's minds.

3. I just wanna know what people think of me. Plus it couldn't hurt in job interviews.

4. I wouldn't. I'm pretty religious so when it comes to supernatural powers my beliefs are, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Powers

11 years ago

i think I've changed my mind bout my powers lol. I'd have shape shifting like Amy2. I would become a werewolf, protecting my friends, family, and everyone else.

Powers

11 years ago

Would that be before or after savagely mauling and eating them?

Powers

11 years ago

neither. i would only protect them

Powers

11 years ago

won't it be a great temptation to eat them? it's like you're protecting chocolates from being eaten by other predators.....

Powers

11 years ago

But those chocolates are special...you only got to go out and find more chocolates to eat ^_^ Which shouldn't be a problem...

Powers

11 years ago

Maybe he doesn't like chocolate or maybe he is lying and is hoarding the delicious caramel chocolates to himself!!!

Powers

11 years ago

Metaphorgotten.

Powers

11 years ago

What is that?

Powers

11 years ago

"In other words, a good comedy trope."

Powers

11 years ago

This site explains it better than I can

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Metaphorgotten

Powers

11 years ago

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife

-Don't go in, it's hard to leave once your there...

(Also, on an off note; I figured out how to paste pictures! xD)

Powers

11 years ago

Nope. Unfortunatley you did not. :(