Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Large gaps between paragraphs

10 years ago

Hey, everyone. Just found this place. I'm gradually posting a huge story that I've been working on. But I noticed that when I play my storygame, that it displays huge gaps between each paragraph... which looks ugly. That isn't the way it looked when a preview the pages. Will there be such large gaps between paragraphs when I finally publish it?

10 years ago

Ah, that would be the nasty copy paste problem that is caused by copy pasting from microsoft (I presume that's how you made your story?)

I think you can fix it by switching to the plain text editor

Berka is the expert on this though, should probably talk to him when he comes on (though he'll probably post here anyways)

10 years ago

Thanks for your quick reply

10 years ago

Welcome!

I previewed your story, and it does seem to have double spacing. 

Like this. When you get stuff like this, just backspace it out. 

10 years ago

True, when copy/pasting from a word processor, you have to go back through and remove the paragraph returns between each line. The editor automatically adds space after each return, so the typical (Enter Enter) one makes with a word processor is too much in the editor.

Also, make sure you are using <p> rather than <div> (look at the lower right of the editor box (or source) and it will tell you). <div> uses a slightly larger spacing.

Us SHIFT ENTER to do this:
--->closer

But that doesn't work quite as well in the story viewers. Spacing has been slightly off for quite some time.

Good Luck!

10 years ago

Thanks for your reply! Though I didn't see a <div> option.

What seemed to solve my problem was to take my text and replace the paragraph breaks with line breaks before I copied and pasted them in.

10 years ago

Backspacing didn't seem to help. I just replaced the paragraph breaks with line breaks before I pasted it in.

Now I just wish that I could order the pages listing alphabetically.

10 years ago

Yeah, that would be handy (and has been suggested in the Wishing Well Forum, but currently it's not available.

What you can do however, is enable Scripting (even if you don't use it) so it shows your page numbers for you.