Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

State of Decay

10 years ago

For those that can't get enough of zombies, I highly recommend the new zombie survival game that just came out, State of Decay. (Unfortunately, its currently only for the 360)

It focuses more on the survival aspect of the zombie apocalypse. You have to collect food, supplies, weapons and such from houses and buildings. Also once you've scavenged an entire area, that's it, you can't get anymore supplies from there, so stuff is limited. You also try to build up a community along with a well fortified home base. You can also switch between controlling different survivors if you've got enough trust with them.

There are different missions that pop up like helping out other survivor and things like that. The zombies are typically the more livelier ones that will run after you, though they do have the shamblers. Encountered a couple of "special"" zombies too. When I was trying to defend a house, a big fat zombie smashed through the door and graphically ripped one of my survivors apart, it was pretty cool.

Anyway, finally glad to get a zombie game that focuses more on the survival aspect.

State of Decay

10 years ago

*Sigh*

I know State of Decay is great and all, but for me it will never quite beat the DayZ mod for Arma. You still have to collect food and supplies but your space is quite limited, you don't get to walk around with pockets full of rifles, and you even get to build your own base. In fact, the biggest antagonist is not the zombie horde, and the best help is not an item, both are the others who play with you. It's a game that pits people against each other and brings them together, and even without that, the long peaceful drives in the cars simply can't be beaten, even if you do use the steering wheel awkwardly...

State of Decay

10 years ago

I've looked into both of them and I think I will be getting State of Decay by the end of this year. A main selling point for me was the fact that you could run out of supplies in an area instead of it just respawning.

But while I'm waiting I shalt play Rebuild-2 once again, curing the zombie virus and closing the gate to the underworld all in a few weeks. ^.^

State of Decay

10 years ago

Yeah, Rebuild is cool too. I heard they're supposed to be coming out with the third one.

There is another zombie survival game due to come out soon called "Dead State." That one is suppose to have a lot more RPG elements to it and the combat plays out more tactically like X-Com.

Dead State

State of Decay

10 years ago

As a fan of the old X-Com turned-based RPG, I'm actually quite interested in Dead State  :)

State of Decay

10 years ago

Never played state of decay by it sounds cool. Rebuild one and two are awesome I like the funny part of the first and more seriousness of the second

State of Decay

10 years ago
"...a big fat zombie smashed through the door and graphically ripped one of my survivors apart, it was pretty cool." And suddenly I remember why I came back. Definitely going to go get this now since a few of my friends on Xbox recommended it as well.

State of Decay

10 years ago

When zombies run, you know the game creators failed to create the right ambience.

State of Decay

10 years ago

I disagree, running zombies add a sense of danger to the situation while still keeping with the horror aspect. It just does away with the "move quickly and you'll survive any encounter" problem that comes from games like Dead  Rising.

State of Decay

10 years ago

It can be solved programming the right amount of zombies in the right places. But it takes time, effort, and you have to be creative and think.

Even with slow and stupid zombies, you can't avoid all encounters. Zomboid and the walking dead game are good examples of it.

A good game does not need to add artificial danger. Take any good hunting game. They do not add flying elephants. Why? It would be easy to add danger and difficulty that way, but it will just hurt the game.

The same way, adding running zombies hurts the game. It turns it into a shooter instead of a survival. It forces you to deal with them in only one way. You can't hide, or run, all you can do is kill them. And with the fact they are fast, you can't use melee anymore. It has to be guns. And the noise attracts more zombies. That you have to keep shooting to.

What are you saying? In those games your noise does not attract them? That makes it even worse.

State of Decay

10 years ago

Not sure why you're saying you can't use melee weapons, since you're using them for the majority of the game.

Actually you're better off using melee weapons. Guns just make more noise and attracts more. You really only use guns if you desperately need to get a mob off of you or to take down the special zombies. The game is definitely not a shooter.

The game pretty much tries to encourage you to sneak and use distractions about rather than wasting all your energy fighting zombies and you can certainly run from the zombies, they aren't olympic sprinters. Some don't even seem to run, they just do a quicker zombie shuffle. They just don't tire while your character does so you can't do it forever and need to get to a safe zone (or far enough a way)

The Walking Dead game was a point and click adventure. Really can't use that as a comparison. Unless you're talking about the one based on the tv show and that game pretty much just sucked in general as far as what they were attempting to do with it.

Dead Rising had like hundreds of zombies on the screen at once so of course it would've been better to have slow zombies since you couldn't turn your character around without bumping into one. In fact its pretty much impossible to avoid them despite them being slow. If they were fast, your character would've been dead instantly.

Maybe Zomboid does it better, don't know never played it. Looks cool from the youtube videos, but it also looks like there can be more zombie on the screen at the same time and they don't look that much slower than the ones that attack you in State of Decay.

State of Decay

10 years ago

Zomboid is a good game, if you are willing to forget the crazy crafting style and the shoddy placement of items you create.