Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

tips!

9 years ago

I need tips for writing a post apocalyptic story. It is set during the tribulations foretold in the bible. Not actually a religious story. It doesn't have zombies just everybody going crazy and evil.

tips!

9 years ago

You're writing about the apocalypse of the Bible, but you're saying it's not a religious story? I hate to break this to you, but by definition, that's impossible. Religious also means "relating to" or "pertaining to" a religion. In other words, your setting is The Book of Revelation, then your game will be religious, end of story.

That said, it doesn't mean you're focusing on the religion itself... though I'm actually kind of baffled as to why you wouldn't. It's the driving force of what's going on. If I wrote a story about Ragnarok, I'd definitely give a lot of attention to Nordic mythology, because ... I'd be writing about an event in nordic mythology.

You want tips? >_> Why? You have an entire book to go off of for inspiration. If you want more inspiration, read commentaries, watch the Left Behind movies, read the book series, yatta yatta. I've read the entire young adult series, but you should have more than enough material just from reading the actual book. If you want tips for story writing in general, well ... this is the article I wrote for new writers: http://chooseyourstory.com/help/articles/article.aspx?ArticleId=3875

tips!

9 years ago

I understand. What I am trying to say is that I am not going to fill this with bible references. I am going to use a biblical event as a setting and then go on to my own story. I wanted tips for writing about an apocalypse. The apocalypse actually is not heavily talked about in the bible. It is referenced to. This said I do thank you for the criticism it will help me rethink my plan for the story. I am sorry for not being clearer. The article is very helpful. I have been finding as many writing articles as i can.

tips!

9 years ago

I ... just don't see why not. Angels and demons are popular beings. The seas of blood, stars getting knocked from the sky, and various other major catastrophes are great imagery. The anti-Christ makes a good villain, the beasts are kind of badass, in general there's a lot that could be used... but it's your story. *shrug*

Exactly what part of the process do you want tips on?

... "The apocalypse actually is not heavily talked about in the bible. It is referenced to." >_> What? The Book of Relevation, minus the first three chapters that are letters addressed to the churches, is entirely devoted to John's visions of the end times. How is that anything but heavily talked about? It's referenced in other places in the Bible, sure, but the last book is just straight up painting a (symbolism-ridden) picture of the end of the world. For the record, I've read all 66 books. It's been a while, but still, I have. The reason I suggested the Left Behind books is because they interpret the visions John saw to what scholars believe they actually meant. 

... The route I would take, if I was trying to do what you are, is using the visions as a guide-line and interpreting them as creatively as possible, using some of the symbolism as clues for puzzles, and making the whole thing a survival game.

tips!

9 years ago

Ok those are the kind tips i was looking for. That is excellent thank you! I really have good inspiration now. The angel and demons are good with the antichrist i will use them but i wont use the antichrist as my main villain actually something much much better *grins sadistically*. 

tips!

9 years ago

...I'll be surprised if you manage something better, let alone much.

=| Frankly, I can think of a few twists for that, and none of them would go well, but good luck nonetheless.

tips!

9 years ago

Well i suppose but you see if my twist is good you won't have thought of it. Thanks for the input.

tips!

9 years ago
You've read all of the books of the Bible? Damn.

tips!

9 years ago

I've only read the ones in my Bible (New and Old Testement).  I've heard that the Catholic version has even more.  :P

tips!

9 years ago
I thought you said you weren't Christian. Granted, you said you were raised in a religious family so it is understandable that you've read the Bible, but every chapter? R'all of rem?

tips!

9 years ago

R'uh huh!  Rhehehehehe!

tips!

9 years ago
Well, crap. I think I've only read, like, two or three all the way through. And, those were just the little short ones I was having to memorize for competitions.

tips!

9 years ago

I've only memorized a few passages.  I had my D&D & AD&D books memorized, though.  :P

tips!

9 years ago
AD&D? Accidental death and dismemberment?

tips!

9 years ago

*snorts* ... Pretty sure it stands for Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, (not a fan or a hater myself,) but that's funny.

tips!

9 years ago
I didn't know, he could've been simultaneously roleplaying and studying for his insurance exams.

tips!

9 years ago

xD  Not likely.

tips!

9 years ago
I'm just sayin'. Anything's a possibility.

tips!

9 years ago

The Catholic Bible does have some ... interesting "additions" that are considered non-canonical by protestant standards. I know about them and I've read some parts of them. The additions to the book of Daniel, for example, were interesting.

tips!

9 years ago

I'll take your word for it.  I don't plan on opening that can of worms again.  It only leads to misery and despair.  :(

tips!

9 years ago
I assume you mean the Bible in general. If so, that is kinda funny, since I only hear people going on and on about how it is an endless fountain of inspiration and hope.

tips!

9 years ago

Pity, IAP.

tips!

9 years ago

If I had someone with whom I could have an intelligent discussion about the concepts contained within (instead of just the worn out rhetoric), I would dive in whole-heartedly and head-first.  But, alas, fate has decided to surround me with fools.  That's why I'm here, instead of out socializing with them.

tips!

9 years ago

Hm. Well ... I enjoy theological discussions, but I don't consider myself very entertaining as a debate companion these days. My brain has roughly all the function of scrambled eggs after a bad night of work and I've had ... a very long succession of those. 

tips!

9 years ago

I love a passionate debate.  If I disagree with a statement on moral grounds, they take it as a personal attack.  And while I secretly like screwing up their whole day, it gets old and boring pretty quickly.

tips!

9 years ago

"And while I secretly like screwing up their whole day" ... see, I don't understand that.

tips!

9 years ago

I only added that part in jest.  Well, sort of.  If they are unwilling to actually hear what I'm saying, then I feel like I'm not very effective and I enjoy that they end up feeling more frustrated than I do.  You can't really have an intelligent discussion with someone who is unable to make concessions or compromises.

Sorry about the delay in response time, my keyboard is giving me fits today.

tips!

9 years ago
Eh, I don't like debating with Christians much, because they tend to all have the same views on the topics I hold most dear, even people with doctorates in Theology (granted, I usually don't get into actual debates with these people, but I occasionally read their works).

tips!

9 years ago
I don't know what you mean by "Not actually a religious story". As Kiel said, that's kinda impossible, given the theme. Anyway, let me know what you have done so far, and I might be able to steer you in an interesting direction.

tips!

9 years ago

Just started, it begins at the rapture. Decided to ask for some tips before I got in over my head.

tips!

9 years ago
Hmm...well, I'll be looking forward to playing it. If you need help with it, feel free to PM me.

tips!

9 years ago

Thank you it wont be ready for a while though.

tips!

9 years ago

"It doesn't have zombies, just everybody going crazy and evil."

Same difference.

tips!

9 years ago

Well no. I mean think about it, everybody going crazy and evil would still retain higher brain function allowing for remnants of civilization to remain although evil. Zombies are a horde, a simple mind driven by instinct. I understand the fact that both could have similar results. They would however have different routes. 

tips!

9 years ago

Discount not a religious story. It has been pointed out that this statement makes no sense. It isn't a religion focused story.

tips!

9 years ago

Eh, unless you have an entire team to do it, I don't think it'll pick up as well as some equally baseless animes had in the past.  (I mean, congrats if you can pull it off, but 90% of the stuff might as well not be canon to anything...)

tips!

9 years ago

well its not going to be ready tomorrow and if i have to i'll use a lot of religious stuff. Thanks for the input.

tips!

9 years ago

Here's a tip!

*Hands you a quarter*

Oh, you mean story writing tips... Well, I'll give you the basics, keep your grammar in top shape, spell words correctly, use proper punctuation, don't use unnecessary modifications to the text, (I.E. Making text bold and underlining words) develop the plot, give us character development, and spend at least a week on a story.

tips!

9 years ago
A quarter? That means you only purchased about, what, $2.50 worth of food. You're a skinny little fuck, aren't you? Or a lousy tipper, one.

tips!

9 years ago

I'm a very lousy tipper (and very fat). Most restraunts'll be glad I even bought the food! *Sigh* My diabetes hates me.

tips!

9 years ago
Are you really fat? I always imagined you as being of an average or even slightly small build.

tips!

9 years ago

Yeah, I'm about 160 pounds. And I'm only 12, so therefor I am rather large for my age.

tips!

9 years ago

You're not fat, you're just... horizontally gifted.

tips!

9 years ago
Don't feel bad. Last Spring, I was about 265-270 lbs. My doctor kept emphasizing how I was going to die a really painful and slow death if I didn't drop it. Now, I'm down by about 80 lbs. I accomplished this, in part, by adopting my low/no meat diet, which everyone keeps trying to tell me is unhealthy. XD

Also, I thought you said you were 13. Not that it's a significant difference.

tips!

9 years ago

Everything is possible as long as you BELIEVE!

tips!

9 years ago
I believe I can fly. I believe I can touch the sky.

tips!

9 years ago

*Gets hit by a plane*

tips!

9 years ago

Well he never believed he wouldn't get hit by a plane.