Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Looking for "some expert help here."

7 years ago

I was trying to write in the editor, as is to be expected, and I just finished a pretty long page.

Anyways, I was thinking about copy pasting it all before clicking close and save changes (as I recalled it crashed a few times ages ago for me). BUT I didn't (I think you can see where this is going).

SO I got an error, tried going back, told me the page didn't exist/was old link and... I can't find the work.

I recall reading there was something you could do it you closed a forum reply tab and lost what you wrote, but I don't remember what that something is.

So I was wondering if anyone knows if there is anything that can be done about this. Thank you!

7 years ago
I'm not aware of any way to retrieve work this way, but, hopefully a lesson was learned here. Don't ever ever trust your writing to the whims of your wi-fi or to the site itself. This goes for everywhere on the internet.

I do all my writing in Scrivener first and then just copy it over as needed for this exact reason.

7 years ago

The best way to write is to type in an external editor, I'd recommend you do things that way going forward (it also helps you keep a backup of the story for your personal use)

If you're on Chrome, the shortcut is Ctrl+Shift+T however I doubt it'll work in this case. That works on closed tabs, not necessarily on Editor pages > if back didn't work and your browser doesn't do caching, you're out of luck.

7 years ago

Thanks you two~

Good to know, will heed your advice.
(Rewriting will hopefully leave it better...)

EDIT - Can't believe I didn't notice that, thanks Ogre. That definitely seems useful.

7 years ago
P.S. A new feature was added on the editor page -- a button in the upper right corner, "Save Changes." That button was added just for this reason. After you type a bit, go ahead and press that button and it will attempt to save your changes. If it fails, at least you won't have typed a lot (at least at first).