Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Forum Games

6 years ago

I was on this website a few years ago and remember playing forum games... I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Someone posts character creation instructions, people go for it, then the OP runs a game.

I'm having trouble figuring out where I could run one such game on this website; there's clearly been some changes. Anyone know where I should post?

Forum Games

6 years ago
You don't post it anywhere because roleplaying is against the rules now.

Feel free to put stories and the like in the Creative Corner though, and if you can come up with some kind of game that doesn't involve casting magic missile at the darkness or whatever it's probably fine to put in the Lounge. (might want to run it past an admin first though)

Forum Games

6 years ago

Just to make sure I understand:
If I want to run a game where everyone creates a character sheet,
where the RNG factor is determined by me, 
and where the plot/world unfolds via storytelling following player prompts,
it *can't* be on this website? Basically no RPGs?

Forum Games

6 years ago

YES 

Forum Games

6 years ago
Forum games was removed. So yes, that means no forum games.

It was deemed a massive waste of time full of laziness and cringe that distracted otherwise productive members and attracted the kind of people (tweens) who would join a writing site for the sole purpose of pretending to fight zombies or cast spells with the power of one, maybe two lines of bad grammar.

There's BHB and Derp's forum for role-playing, plus vast swathes of the entire rest of the internet, most of which don't have such weird thread formatting so they're better for it anyway.

CYS meanwhile is a writing site and that's where the admin want the focus to stay.

Forum Games

6 years ago

I'm curious why they would be against the rules?  I'm guessing there's a story behind this?

Forum Games

6 years ago

They multiply faster than Chinese rabbits and shit up the forums 

Forum Games

6 years ago

Good enough reason I suppose.

Forum Games

6 years ago

Most of the forum games were badly written, and took time away from the site's main focus, Storygames.

Forum Games

6 years ago

Being badly written is inexcusable, to be certain, but I can see how some game types might help with writing if they were of a particular kind, and specifically set up to help motivate/inspire people out of their writer's block.  Not that I'm trying to insist they shouldn't have been banned or trying to change policy, just sharing my perspective.

Forum Games

6 years ago

There is one type of acceptable “forum game” still allowed since it involves a CYOA format and I rescued a good example of such a game before the purge.

http://chooseyourstory.com/forums/creative-corner/message/16122

Forum Games

6 years ago

Yeah, that's the kind of thing I had in mind when I made the previous post.  Though I was thinking of something more open ended; kind of like a collective story.  Mostly because when I read a story, I know that I often think to myself, "I would have done X instead."  I'm sure I'm not the only one, so sometimes readers who DON'T have the story running around in their heads come up with interesting ideas that the initial author might over look.  That and I'm just curious to see how other people think.  It intrigues me.

Forum Games

6 years ago
I take it that failed collaborative story thread of Bucky's that featured a delusional dying @MasonJarGuzzi rambling to his camel Mizal in the snow was lost with the purge?

Forum Games

6 years ago
@Bucky did you ever archive that by any chance?