Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

new

6 years ago

I am new here. Anyone know what I should check out to get started on earning exp and commendations. Writing stories would be a good choice, but I would like to know my way around. I am actually trying to write a story on paper right now. It may take a while, but I could tweek it into a good story game and post it here for stuff and for fun.

new

6 years ago

Maybe short stories, if you want commendations? They can be pretty short if they're good, and you will get commended. Or just read loads of stories for points.

new

6 years ago
Hi, welcome to the site.

I wouldn't worry too much about points and commendations in and of themselves. Points are good for wagering in contests and they give your ratings on stories a bit more weight, but like commendations they basically just exist for bragging rights.

I always recommend reading and reviewing some of the top story games when you're starting out just to get an idea of what's possible and the quality level readers are looking for. We've also just had a contest with a lot of high quality entries and most of those stories are still waiting on reviews.

Some of the articles on scripting etc, will also be useful when you start making a game of your own here. (I used to write stories in notebooks but CYOAs sound like they'd be a pain to keep track of that way, good luck though!)

If you have any specific writing questions or want feedback on your work than the Writing Workshop will be the place to go.

new

6 years ago
Amazing how many crazyboys this site has had over the years!

It's a toss-up however, to which are more entertaining overall, the crazyboys or the ladyboys... Perhaps we should form some sort of a study.

new

6 years ago
Welcome to the site, Mr. Crazy.

new

6 years ago

Hey. As I'm sure someone else has already said, rating stories is a good way to get points quickly (particularly short/rubbish ones!)