Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Sparknotes Or Actual Reading

8 years ago

Let's talk about this. Seeing how Sparknotes offer us a way out of reading books and gives us more information (In my case) that we would've come across ourselves is their truly any benefit in actually reading the book.

Let me tell you what brought this on.

As i begin reading the story Pride and Prejudice I realized something. My hatred for this fucking book has gone past both Old Man and the Sea and Fahrenheit 451.

For you to truly understand my hatred for this book i have taken the liberty of writing it out.

HATE

Let me tell you all how much I've come to HATE this book in the hour i've begun to read it....

There is over 387.44 million miles of printed circuits in wafer thin layers that fill my house. If the word 'HATE' was inscribed on each nanoangrstrom of those hundreds of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the HATE I harbor for this book at each micro-instant i draw breath.

Hate...

HATE...

HATE....

Fuck Pride and Prejudice

8 years ago

Why all the hate, m8?

8 years ago

I haven't read Pride and Prejudice, and I'm indifferent for the most part to the old man and the sea but I rather disliked Fahrenheit 451 since it was dull and only praised books and authors. Even though I'm a fan of reading, I really don't see the point of such a book or why Earthlings praise it.

8 years ago

I think the only thing I got out of my assigned reading in high school was an abiding disinterest in the classics. I'm sure there are many worthwhile books that I will never read, because my primary association with classic literature is reading things I didn't want to read.

So, yeah, Sparknotes all the way, if you can get away with it. But maybe find something you actually want to read instead. Don't let your assigned reading put you off reading entirely. :P

8 years ago

Rich women hating on rich men for being rich, only to find out he's rich in character too...

...and that's her reason for falling in love within no-time, flat.  I forget why classics are classics at times :P

8 years ago

Because for whatever reason they managed to endure the test of time.

Granted that it helps that all those long ass stories were written during a time when books were a more prized source of entertainment.

So they might have very well been enjoyed more because hey you didn't have tv or the internet back then so a long story would have kept you entertained for weeks in between your thankless job of sweeping chimneys (Assuming you knew how to read) or passing the time because you were a bored aristocrat that didn't feel like abusing some lower class whore at the moment.

Personally though, if I had a time machine I'd go back in time and stop Charles Dickens from writing anything. Christ, I hated reading anything from him.

8 years ago

Plz kill John Steinbeck. Worst author ever. Ugh. Charles Dickens' stories at least had a point to them.