Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

What do you do for your posture?

4 years ago

Recently my back has been hurting, so I've been trying to stop slouching and sit with my feet flat on the floor. But so far it doesn't seem to he helping much. I never thought about my posture much until now, so I'm curious, does anyone else have a personal posture or way they like to sit (that does not cause back pain)?

4 years ago
There are stretches and small exercises you can do daily to strengthen your posture. I typically run through them each morning. Yoga is extremely helpful as well. I've been doing about 5 classes a week and my back/shoulders feel amazing after. As far as posture goes, you want to keep a neutral spine with no hunched shoulders or curve in your lower back. Try to keep your shoulders in line with your hips (imagine a vertical line shooting up from hip to shoulder). If you tuck your naval towards your spine, it engages your core muscles which will help with stability. To avoid hunching, I try to imagine drawing my shoulders down and away from my ears and it should feel more relaxed rather than tense.

4 years ago
I sit up straight, if possible. If you start to slouch, press the small of your back hard with your finger. Makes you want to straighten right out.

4 years ago
What ninja said if you're having troubles, although it's not something I think about much beyond making sure I'm sitting properly at the computer and not leaning forward to look at the monitor.

Sitting down for long periods is awful for you though, not just for your back but your circulation and everything. The human body was just not designed for that. You should be getting up a few minutes every hour to walk around or stretch.

4 years ago
I drink beer until the pain goes away