Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Hot Y Xing

4 years ago
The other day I was walking out of the school bookstore, and something caught my eye in the bin of five dollar books that generally contains celebrity biographies and cookbooks. For those of you who cannot see the image, it is of a hardcover book entitled Hot Dudes Reading. Now, this isn't the first time I have seen something along these lines, but the entire concept is pretty weird to me. What's the deal with hot dudes reading? At least Mizal's fixation with shirtless men cleaning has implications of being able to use them for house slaves, but reading?! I really don't get the point of this. Are hot dudes better off if they are reading? Does reading make dudes hotter? Are book fetishes common among college students? I wouldn't have thought so considering how little those textbooks are usually read. Maybe the intended audience is totally different from college students, and the book just ended up here. In this case, what's the deal there? Maybe this has been a thing for centuries, when being able to read and afford books were something of an indication of a good social and economic standing. Maybe because of this, reading dudes have become sexually attractive in our culture. This would be the first I have heard of it, but it was the best explanation I could come up with. Why are the hot guys reading?

Hot Y Xing

4 years ago

I'm far more interested in the malts and milkshakes myself.

Hot Y Xing

4 years ago
I'm not sure a book on them is worth getting though, unless it's actually full of the history of malts and such.
Malts are wonderully simple. They probably draw you in because MILKSHAKE and then don't have anything of substance in the book.

Hot Y Xing

4 years ago

Maybe they're reading the malts and milkshakes book, which is why it's so erotic to women. It's like the mystery of a fully clothed pinup, but instead of the potential of what's underneath, it's the potential of all the other hot guys that they're learning how to bring to the yard.

Hot Y Xing

4 years ago
Hmmm, you know, this sounds plausible. Now I'M curious too. I should have gotten the book.
Oh well, forever a pleasant mystery.

Hot Y Xing

4 years ago
"Are hot dudes better off if they are reading?"

Yes, because it makes them seem more intelligent, even if they are reading a picture book or if the book is actually upside-down.

"Does reading make dudes hotter?"

If they are reading fitness books and things like the "Arnold Schwarzenegger Encyclopedia Of Bodybuilding," then maybe. Or it might. Well, they have potential because they know they're not Arnold.

"Are book fetishes common among college students?"

They are if you say they're not.

"Maybe the intended audience is totally different from college students, and the book just ended up here. In this case, what's the deal there?"

It's in the $5 bin on a college campus. Is that on purpose? Maybe. In reality, please remember that you are on a modern-day college campus. Today's college students can't read or don't read. So yes, it is very possible that the student worker attempting to file that book in the proper place read the sign that said "$5 bin" and mis-read it as "This is where you put books that are popular for some people but absolutely stupid for other people." But if that's not the case, since it does appear to be a picture book (with the exception of those silly word-things on the front), it might be in the store just for hot dudes to pick up and read so they're suddenly hotter.

Hot Y Xing

4 years ago
You make a lot of good points. I knew posting this here was the right decision. Perhaps I will give away books to my classmates, particularly the "Arnold Schwarzenagger Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding." Then they get to be hotter or make their loved ones hotter, and everyone wins except for my wallet. Or more likely most will be confused as to why the weird scribbly things are printed on paper instead of on a screen.

Hot Y Xing

4 years ago

So I was curious and did some reaserch.  Apparently, the whole "hot dudes reading" thing started as an instagram account full of candid photos of... well, hot dudes reading on subways.  Somehow, it's garnered over a MILLION followers, thought I can't imagine why.  It's just such an oddly specific subject matter that I can't see it holding people's attention for longer than five minutes.  Then again, it IS the internet...

I wonder what the book's about.  Is it about the psychology behind the movement?  A gallery of photos?  The story behind the movement?  How much can you really say about "hot dudes reading"?

Here's the article I read, if anyones curious/looking for entertainment.

https://people.com/books/hot-dudes-reading-creators-discuss-sexy-instagrams-and-book/

Hot Y Xing

4 years ago
"Hookups included!" Well, that's a promising start. Interesting peek into thirsty minds there. Thanks. I regret never actually opening the book now, but from the article it seems it was similar content as in the Instagram account.

Hot Y Xing

4 years ago
We are all assuming you are now planning a trip back to the store to scour that entire box to see if the book is still there so you can check out the pages inside the book, if not just outright purchasing the book, "for research."

Hot Y Xing

4 years ago
I am literally packing up to walk over right now.

Hot Y Xing

4 years ago
It was exactly where I had left it. Here's the back cover. Here's the forward. I can almost smell the thirst. And a couple examples of the actual content that I took pictures of before ninjaing out of there before someone who actually cared noticed. Since this book is about scrutinizing the look of strangers, I will say that I disapprove of the short pants.

Hot Y Xing

4 years ago

Does reading make dudes hotter? Are book fetishes common among college students? Why are the hot guys reading? ... I am very sad to inform you that I know the answers to none of these questions. But one thing I would like to bring to your attention... Somewhere, in this strange little place we call the internet, there is a subreddit entitled Bread Stapled to Tress.

This is not an inuendo or pun or any kind of cockney rhymning slang. This subreddit is exactly what it says it is... Hundreds and hundreds of photographs of bread stapled to trees... It has over 235000 followers.

I apologise for subjecting you to this knowlege... But there comes a time in every little Cricket's life when they must stop asking of the world, "Why are the hot guys reading?" and instead, simply ask, "... Why?"

Hot Y Xing

4 years ago
Wha...Why?

Hot Y Xing

4 years ago

Thatta girl! ^_^

Hot Y Xing

4 years ago
IIRC it was also briefly a fad to tape bacon to a cat.

Hot Y Xing

4 years ago

I was unaware of this information... Thank you Mizal.

Hot Y Xing

4 years ago

It was certainly a fad to tape poptarts to a cat. And almost definitely a fad to eat out the center of a small slice of bread and force your cat's face into the hole

Hot Y Xing

4 years ago

Did the Nyan cat meme come before or after the pop tart cat fad?  I remember being obsessed with nyan cat in middle school, to the point where I had the theme song memorized.  I still have the nyan cat game collecting dust on my phone, (actually quite an interesting take on the infinite runner games on the App Store, come to think of it).  

People complain about the narcissism of cats, but no one ever gives a thought to all the terrible things we do to them “because it’s funny.”

Hot Y Xing

4 years ago

Oh, taping poptarts and things to your cat wasn't a separate phenomenon. Making your cat do nyan cat things WAS the nyan cat fad. It was all over the internet, so people knew if they could get their cat to be the "real" one, they would get a slice of the fame and youtube fortune.

Hot Y Xing

4 years ago
TIL the Nyan Cat is attached to a pop-tart and not just weird looking.

Hot Y Xing

4 years ago

It was also a fad to put smarties tubes on cats legs... To be fair though, that one made complete sense. ^_^

Hot Y Xing

4 years ago
I do love that subreddit. I enjoy it daily. I hope to one day participate effectively.

Hot Y Xing

4 years ago

You should make a thread of your accomplishments here when you do.