Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Evil Creature Brainstorming!

8 years ago

Hello! Me again! I'm writing a creepy story, and will need to incorporate a lot of scary creatures. Any ideas? 

8 years ago

Skinwalker? Um...no, wrong word...

Anyways there's this movie about an expedition in Africa where a colony of ants consume people and use their skins as bait, though as time progresses they begin to drop the disguises and use the partially finishes bodies as portable inflatable wavy arm thingies.

8 years ago

I'm scared.

8 years ago

*finished

8 years ago

From the board index it looked like this thread was called Evil Creature Brains, which was a much more interesting title.

8 years ago

Agreed.

8 years ago

Norther demon;

~No eyes
~Four tails with semi-sharp spikes at the end (about as sharp as a dull dagger)
~regular front/back claws about the same sharpness (would be sharper, but they are dulled by being walked on so much)
~Claws on extra set of arms are extremely sharp, same as the teeth
~extra arms a bit weaker and more brittle
~average of four foot seven when on all fours
~Large lung capacity, which enables long distance running
~ridges on the back are weaker areas where if hit correctly, cause massive amounts of pain due to it being part of the spine that is making the ridges. Also more susceptible to spinal damage and paralysis.
~It's able to un-hinge it's jaw, rather similar most snakes, resulting in the mouth extending almost to the neck area. Jaw is also more susceptible to damage when it is unhinged like this, and it also hurts more when it is damaged, but it is often used when they are short on time and need to eat something rather quick.
~tongue is long and forked
~Carnivore
~due to the large size, it's hungry often. If it gets too hungry, well, things aren't pretty. If it's not sated for a long enough time, it will become unable resist the sharp pangs of hunger, no matter who/what it's around.

~Paralyzing roar. It is very very loud. Everyone who can hear it stops whatever they are doing. It also takes a massive amount of breath, so it's not like they can roar and go killing people at the same time. The paralysis usually lasts for about five to ten seconds, and it usually takes about four or five seconds to regain enough breath to do anything besides pant. It's often used to catch peoples attention in a time of chaos, such as a battlefield or a riot.

~chemical change in breath. In order to do this one, they would have had to breathe in air from certain places and had the chemicals stored in a certain place by the lungs. Such as a quick sniff from flowers with poisonous chemicals to call upon later, or a whiff from other flowers to induce sleep or hallucinations, or perhaps a bit of sulfur to create a rotten-egg stench that can distract or combined with a few other chemicals, create something that will react strongly when in contact with oxygen and create a fireball/second long flamethrower. The fire stuff is a bit tricky though, and has often backfired on the user, scorching their own throats in the process with a miss judgment of the chemical amount needed to delay the reaction so it does not harm them as much when it ignites. This also allows a slight resistance to gas that has the intent to harm, though the storage place for the chemicals can easily be over-filled and the rest flooding into their system and having the natural effects.

8 years ago

Well. I will use this. Thank you.

8 years ago
I was going to suggest an Okuri-Inu, but the norther demon just blows it out of the water.

8 years ago

That sounds positively horrifying.

Well, it pretty much blows everything out of the water.

8 years ago

How about a Slender Man story that isn't completely cheesy?

Or maybe Slender Man just turns out to be Nyarlathotep or the like.

8 years ago
Dora the Explorer. That's one scary girl, right there.

8 years ago

I completely agree with that.

Have you heard of the Ebu Gogo?

It is a meter tall, covered in dark hair and is an ancestor to humans. It walks upright just like humans and climbs trees extremely well it also eats meant and has been said to eat people. Also known as the Homo Floresiensis, It was discovered on the island of Flores. Excavated from a cave they found that they were meat eaters that could use fire and were extremely smart. It is said that some still exist today. There were accounts of them coming into a village on Flores and would start taking and eating their children. The villagers got enough of this and burnt their cave but, some think that a couple survived.

#cavecannibals

8 years ago

I was her for Halloween once.A few people screamed. I was the scariest one.devil

8 years ago
Think about what things in real life scare you or creep you out, then just exaggerate those things and make them more mysterious. People are afraid of things that they don't understand.

8 years ago

Have you read the Phantom Tollbooth? The demons are - 

- Terrible Trivium, demon of wasted time

- Gelatinous Giant, demon of fear

- Demon of Insincerity

- Senses Taker. Literally.

Evil, huh? The author tried to put people's demons in there, not fantasy. For a project, we had to create a demon, and I made the Second-Guessing Salesman. Speaks for itself, really.

8 years ago

Joking around with this one but:

Image result for cthulhu bird

8 years ago
That's some creepy stuff, right there.

8 years ago

I'd say the Norther Demon's pretty good.

8 years ago
He's got huge, sharp... er... He can leap about. Look at the bones!

8 years ago

Here's what I'd do.

(Actually credit this to delightfulweirdo223)

Don't go for the common and stereotypical scary teeth and claws. Go for it's aura, give it a raspy voice and small beady eyes. Make it tall and lanky, so it can grab you out of the dark. More limbs, and have it speak (if it can) cryptically. 

Basically, go for atmosphere more than appearance. What does it do? Does it eat you or enslave you? Does it send you to hell or purgatory? 

How was it created? In a basement, from a curse, or the bottom of the trashcan?

Go for psychological horror, it's MUCH more effective. The stuff you've gotta think about first. The stuff that keeps you up at night.

Hope this helps!

8 years ago

Nevermind, stealing this idea for myself...

8 years ago
Too late, Penguinite. I already saw it.

8 years ago

Well stop remembering it! I claim ownership of this information!

8 years ago

YOU SHALLZ NOT!

8 years ago

Pff, did you even see it? There's no way to stop me from stealing it if you don't know what it is.