Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Half-finished idea

5 years ago

So I had this idea come to me while watching something about gin palaces during the 1920s and how gin was so easy to come by due to war funds. Basically, it’s a sort of ‘underground city’ concept that somehow is a time loop at the same time, and includes supernatural/mythical characters. Let me explain before it seems stupid.

Before World War 1, the supernatural and mythical creatures of the world hid in pockets of the world untouched by humanity. All species lived in harmony. But once humans began moving into their territory and waging bloody wars, the creatures decided to go underground and stay hidden. They didn’t want to compromise their fragile peace.

And so the Nephilim, the upper class/aristocrats, the witches, demons, weres, vampires, and faeries worked together to create a sprawling labyrinth underneath London by creating glamours to hide them. Once the population in London was completely moved in, the witches cut off all interaction. (there will be more explanation if I decide to write this or people are interested)

I’ve been thinking over this whole story and I’ve been seeing multiple plot lines play out, but I need some advice. It seems so cliche to me, and I feel as if it has been done before. Please tell me if any thoughts came to you while reading it. What I said is just a brief history of the fantasy world but there is much more to go in detail about. Is there anything that caught your atttention? Or something you feel could have been expanded on? Thanks.

Half-finished idea

5 years ago

Doesn't sound  very cliche, I've never heard of mythical and supernatural creatures trying to build an underground city to escape humans.  Usually its people trying to get away from things like that in stories, not the other way around.  

The all species in harmony part doesn't seem all that likely.  Like you could throw in something about some of them being enemies with other species but having to begrudgingly work together to survive.  Adds some tension.

And if you're worried about all the creatures being too cliche just unravel some of the stereotypical myths about them and make up some of your own.  Or play around with the lore of the creatures and have some fun with it.  

Like for example the werewolves could be like the vampires pet dogs or something.  Or the demons could appear super hellish but actually be nice guys or something, or they are in friendly competition with some angels, instead of being sworn enemies.  

The most important thing would be where do you see this story going though?

Half-finished idea

5 years ago
Neat stuff. Some questions that come to my mind:

Why are the mythical creatures trying to get away from humans? I mean, I get the war, but usually mythical creatures are more powerful than humans, so they can do what they want. Are there just very few numbers of them? Were they hunted? Are they actually not very powerful?

Where is the story going? Just writing about people living above ground and others living below ground doesn't sound really exciting. I'm wondering if the old witches who created the barriers have died off or something and their barriers are weakening, so someone slips through? Is it humans who find the underground? Are they scared?

I'm curious as to the time of the setting. Has it been hundreds of years since the separation so that people have forgotten about the others? Or was it recently and people on either side are trying to find a way back to the other side? Maybe some humans got accidentally trapped inside? Or mythical creatures got trapped outside and are trying to find a way in?

So it does sound like it could be very interesting. Sure, some variations on it have been done before, but that doesn't make it cliche. Include solid characters with development and it could really be good stuff.

Half-finished idea

5 years ago
Why under London specifically when vast wilderness where they could be much more isolated still exist today?

The use of London just reminds me a bit of Fallen London. But like Ogre said, what's needed before any real feedback can be given is a plot. Conflict and characters make or break a story, fantasy settings are a dime a dozen by themselves.