Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Play Tester for a Time-Travel Game?

4 years ago

Hey y'all,

I just finished making and proofreading at 16,000 word game about time travel. It uses items and conditional links/text with looping pages. I was hoping to have a few play-testers if anyone is up for it! Also if you do want to proofread as you go that would be appreciated! I will give play-testers a shout out in the story description.

Please if play-testing will prevent you from eventually rating and commenting on it, just wait until release!

Here is the link, preview should be on:

The Chronomantic Adventures of Professor Gower: Office Hours

Just provide any feedback here or PM me.

4 years ago
Bumping because no one ever looks at anything but the thread currently in the index.

I've been following the progress on this and it's a pretty entertaining game. Sadly there are currently like three people able to do proofreading, and Shadow is one of them...

4 years ago
Where is that @Microblue when you need him?

4 years ago

Thanks Mizal, and I am honored to be on the list...I did fail Gower's grammar quiz though.

4 years ago

Wow.  Firstly, may I congratulate you in advance on a very, very good storygame.  Secondly, I played through pretty much every conceivable combination of routes I could think of, with no bugs or weird page loops/dead ends or anything like that.  So that's good.  The items worked as intended, so that was also good.  I did find some things while proofreading that I thought I'd mention, but they're mostly pretty minor.

“Office Hours”

Clean up the bottom of the pages, by removing extra lines.  (This goes for all of the pages, unless that's the look you're going for)

With only thirty minutes until remedial grammar, Gower furrows his brow and thinks for a moment, then responds with confidence:

Add a comma

“England: Year 1200--1”

Taking a moment to admire the Great Seal of Shaftesbury Abbey, he knocks on the sturdy double doors;

Add a comma

“England: Year 1200--4’

He is at a dead sprint away from the Abbey when he hears the knights ransack Marie’s room; praying she is okay, he activates the return sequence.

Add a comma

“Ancient Greece--1”

Gower hears a loud thud, the clash of steel on steel, and the sound of a sword piercing flesh; a grotesque sucking noise that he remembers from a brief trip to the Colosseum for the first Olympics.

Incomplete sentence, suggest changing semi-colon to colon

(also the last paragraph seems to be a different font on this page)

“Ancient Greece--Fail 2”

“No, no he isn’t," Boras ??????says to the fallen professor. “Hello Gower, it would appear you have been a thorn in my side for the last time!”

Not sure what the question marks are, but they appear when I try to read this page.

Also, some extra instances of “enter” creating gaps that you could slim down to make it look better

“Greece: Year 427 BC--1”

Most of the font on this page is different, in the same way the font from Ancient Greece--1 is different.  Looks to be font size.

Also, a trend I noticed in this section is “Medea” and “Madea” both being used.  Looked it up and seems the correct spelling is “Medea”, although perhaps both are correct, I didn’t do that much research.  Letting you know just in case it wasn’t purposeful.

Hopefully this helps!  This is a killer game, and I'll save most of the story feedback for a review, but the twist was awesome.  There was an easily noticeable pattern though, similar to Inheritance House in the way the paths are made, so if I could offer any advice, it would be to add some distinction to these parts.  If you have any specific questions beyond this, feel free to PM me cause I'd hate to spoil any of the story for these guys.

4 years ago

Thank you! This is awesome feedback! I will incorporate the minor fixes and font changes immediately! Not sure what the ?????? Thing is, but I will check it out. Also you are right I will fix the Medea spelling...

The spacing at the end of the page is conditional text in most cases... I am not sure why, but it leaves enough space to include all the text even if only one paragraph is shown. I will try to fix it, but my programming skills are not good.

I will see if I can mix up some of the repetitive spots. There is only meant to be two different endings, so I might leave those alone, but the first three paths themselves could be done better...

Let me know if I can ever return the favor for proofreading!

4 years ago

Yeah!  My pleasure!  I'm working on another storygame at the moment, another horror, so I'll let you know!

4 years ago

For sure!

I already made the easy updates and am working on spicing things up! I will also try to fix the awkward spacing if possible.