Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Pug's Puzzles, Mysteries, and Riddles (Contest)

4 years ago

23) A story that revolves around a mystery or a series of puzzles and riddles.

I'm not sure what direction to go with this yet. I like the idea of doing a classic riddle game, like in the Hobbit, within some kind of fantasy frame story, but I also had fun doing the Leofwine mystery and wouldn't mind another whodunit. Feel free to say which one you'd rather read. I'd also like to do some real branching, but I guess that depends how early I actually start working. 

4 years ago
I've had a logic puzzle that I've wanted to include in a story for a long time, but I haven't been able to figure out a way to allow the reader to answer it without either making the answer obvious or including about 50 choices as possible answers.

It's a simple prompt - and there're no tricks to it. The puzzle can be solved ... Tell me how to plant ten apple trees in 5 rows, with 4 trees in each row.

If you can figure out how to incorporate that in your story, feel free to take it.

4 years ago

I have a better grasp on it now. The story is going to be an Indiana Jones style adventure to a ruined city or temple to recover an ancient, semi-mythic artifact for the museum. There's one big puzzle I've already planned for the end, which will require some close reading of the story up to that point for clues, and then some smaller ones scattered throughout the trek there, navigating the ruins, etc. The big puzzle requires a fair bit of work with variables, which I haven't tried before, so that's the first thing I'm going to work on, and then whatever time / energy I have left after finals will be spent adding more little puzzles and adventures.

4 years ago

I think this is a great idea. It sounds like it will have the same feel as a legend of Zelda game, but more of a story format. I would check out Cows Vs. Aliens. It is a fun game that is basically just a poker simulator (I have no clue how he did that) and there is a story to frame up why you are playing poker at all. Yours will have a more serious story from the sound of it, but the idea is similar.

4 years ago

I know you've already decided on what type of story to write, but just wanted to say that I'd be very intrigued to read a "whodunnit" story with multiple endings, if you were ever inclined to write one. With the proper branching, it could make for an excellent narrative. 

Your current idea sounds interesting as well, and I wish you the best of luck with it. 

4 years ago

I've finished the scripting and variables for the big riddle/puzzle at the end of the game, and everything seems to work with it. Now I just have to write the rest of the story...