Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Year's End Contest - Fluxion (Red Riding Hood)

4 years ago
Obligatory thread for progress.

4 years ago
Update one: Decided on a title.

4 years ago
Update two: Completed title page picture (yep, always got to have one).

4 years ago
Care to elaborate on your actual take of the story?

4 years ago
It's going to be like the office slut story but with a wolf in place of the boss.

4 years ago
Sure. I'm definitely stretching the theme, I'll admit. I'm going to adapt the Little Red Riding Hood story to fit into a kind of monster hunting theme. A few months ago I published a story about a witch hunter, then later took it down to make it better (I had completely screwed the pooch on the items system, but of course it's still languishing unpublished). Well, in this version of LRRH, you're going to be a young girl who has become an apprentice to a witch hunter, but he'll be near death due to an injury suffered during his last contract.

So, in desperate need of money to afford the magical cure he needs, you'll go on a quest as a kid to slay a werewolf that's been terrorizing a town for a bounty. Since the main character will be the apprentice of a witch hunter, I'm probably going to include a vile, horrifying witch in the story as well. And, of course, a demon, because every fantasy story needs a demon.

But long story short, the wolf will be a werewolf, and I'll probably include a few really stupid knights and some brigands along the way.

And I'll put in a mostly useless bestiary, too, with way more information than you need just because it's fun to write about monsters and witches.

4 years ago
In fact, just for funsies, here's an excerpt from my bestiary (I'll obviously have an entry about werewolves as well). This thing will be fluid, and I'll put it in other stories set in this universe, but even if it's a lot of unneeded information, this stuff is fun to write about for me (and I'm sure someone out there would find it interesting).

On Witches

  First, it should be noted that there are only female witches. Many old customs and superstitions utilize terms like "warlock" to describe male witches, but due to the ritual necessary for a witch to come into her power, it is quite impossible for any male witches to exist. Moreover, that requirement itself, and why it must be true, brings the reader into a fuller awareness of how inherently evil witches truly are.

The Ritual

    In contrast to sorcerers, sorceresses, diviners and other users of magic, the witch does not achieve her power solely through researching the sciences and the arcane arts. It is instead gained through a bargain with a demon summoned from the Sixth Circle of the Infernal Plane. The reader is likely aware, of course, that commerce with demons in and of itself is not what makes the ritual abhorrent. It is, rather, the specific nature of that bargain which demands judgment and contempt.

    First, the witch must summon a demon she knows craves a human soul. It is known that some demons utilize the energy inherent to human souls, while others simply enjoy torturing them or keeping them as trophies. Regardless of the demon's motive, the bargain struck between a demon and a witch involves the bartering of a human soul.

    Once the demon arrives, the witch will disrobe and lie on the bed, inviting the demon to fornicate with her. The coupling is often violent, but the witch counts it a fair trade. Once the demon ejaculates, he will bite or tear his own flesh, allowing his blood to drip into the witch's mouth, and it is here that the transformation begins. The blood acts as a sort of immunity against the destructive power of the demonic semen, which courses rapidly through the witch, impregnating her in seconds. More disturbingly, the pregnancy itself is unnaturally brief, often progressing from conception to birth in an hour or less. The demon will wait patiently until its offspring is born, at which time it will begin devouring or otherwise capturing the soul.

    Naturally, such a rapid change in a woman's body would result in her death, even with the protection of the demonic blood, which can only sustain the witch for a time. After the demonic child is born, however, the witch is able to utilize the infant's life force to sustain her own. Horrifyingly, the witch must immediately consume her child, bite by bite. It is not known to what degree the hybrid infant feels or understands what is happening to it, but reports are that it screams much like a natural child would when harmed, confused and terrified.

Immediate Consequences of the Ritual

    Even as the witch consumes the child, her physical appearance begins to permanently change into a hideous mockery of human life. Often times vestigial limbs will sprout, hanging limply from her body; facial features will distort, some growing in size, others receding, and all spreading to unnatural positions. These physical deformities are so pronounced in their evil that not even the most powerful magic at a witch's disposal can completely conceal them. At best a witch may use a spell to temporarily appear as a hideous old woman or completely disappear. But neither solution is permanent, and as a hag a witch is so horrifyingly ugly that she might still be identified as a witch by an informed observer.

    An additional physical malady a witch will immediately acquire is a strange ticking or twitching behavior. Whether a result of evil trying to escape a mortal form, or merely something as mundane as nerve damage from the physical trauma of the ritual, this unnatural, involuntary motion is considered by some to be more disturbing than the physical deformities a witch receives. However, this odd twitching can be concealed for a time with powerful magic, and often is done so when a witch appears as a hag.

    Beyond mere physical deformities, however, there is a much more important result following the completion of the abominable ritual: a witch will become completely dependent upon the life force of children to maintain her power and even her own existence. As a result, a witch will immediately develop an evil craving for the flesh of children, and must consume a child no older than ten years old at least once every few months to maintain her power. Failure to do so will result in a witch slowly decomposing into dirt. Reports suggest that a witch may survive at most for two years without eating a child.

    Moreover, the ritual renders a witch barren, so she cannot merely summon demons and consume the result of ritualistic coupling to sustain herself. Thus a witch is inherently dangerous to any nearby human settlement, either kidnapping children or extorting helpless villages for periodic child sacrifices, and must be eradicated without hesitation or remorse.

Methods of Dealing with Witches

    Usually superstitions are poorly supported, but in the case of witches, the traditional belief that a witch cannot spot a child if he or she closes her eyes seems to have merit. It was a surprise to the author when convincing evidence for this tradition was found, as most among the educated believe such stories are merely designed to keep children quiet at bed time. In any event, some believe this "nocturnal blindness" is because the eyes are the window to the soul, and while a witch tracks a child by "smelling" the soul, it cannot pinpoint the exact location of the child without seeing the soul through the eyes. Whether this is the reason or not is immaterial: if there are rumors of a witch nearby, children should be instructed to keep their eyes tightly shut while sleeping.

    Of course, simply hiding from a witch may not be a feasible strategy. In this case, an alternative is to strike a bargain with a witch. Some villages have allowed a witch to have children born out of wedlock in exchange for leaving other children alone, while others have offered other forms of sacrifice, such as spices or other consumables (of course, in such instances, a witch will acquire her children from another nearby village). So long as the witch is not desperate for children to consume, there is a good chance a witch will be amiable to a bargain, as their nature predisposes them to making deals.

    Fortunately, there is little reason to fear a betrayal of such a bargain, so long as the bargain is made properly: when blood is exchanged between a witch and a human, the witch will be bound by the agreement, for the witch will spontaneously combust if she violates such a pact (Take heed, for should a human betray a bargain with a witch, the consequences may be terrifying, for a witch will no longer be bound by its usual limitations when exacting her revenge for such a betrayal; notably, defenses against witchcraft such as circles of salt become useless against the witch.).

Methods of Disposing of Witches

    Of course, the experienced sorcerer, diviner or witch hunter may desire a more proactive solution to a witch problem, in which case various witch extermination methods have been gathered and written here.

Methods of trapping or binding a witch

    Before a witch can be disposed of, she must be accessible. Unfortunately, witches employ various tricks and spells to conceal themselves or otherwise render themselves unreachable. The most common way this is done is with a special spell of concealment, which not only makes the witch invisible, but also transports her flesh to a realm in between the temporal and the amaranthine planes. In this transitory state, even if you know where a witch is located, you cannot harm her invisible form.

    Fortunately, the spell can be overcome with a device called a chandelier globe. Whence comes the name the author cannot say, but upon throwing in the vicinity of a witch, she will be dragged back fully into the mortal realm. From here the witch can be properly exterminated or otherwise dealt with. These devices are, however exceedingly hard to find. Many a sorcerer has lost his soul trying to get one from a trade with a demon from the Sixth Circle of the Infernal Plane.

    There is, of course, another means that witches use to remain safe from extermination: a flying potion. Unfortunately, the creation of this potion requires the slaughter of an innocent child, born out of wedlock, and unbaptized in the name of any true god. The flesh from the child is boiled and then combined with various foul unguents (of which the author will not disclose), then consumed by the witch. Immediately the witch is able to fly for several hours. A single child may provide days worth of flying for a witch.

    For dealing with such a witch, the author can only suggest combining one of the methods below and applying some created unguent to a projectile weapon; or perhaps thin thread hung across a high gap meant to appear invisible, anointed with a substance that harms a witch, deployed much like a spider's web. However, such techniques are unlikely to work. When encountering a witch who has utilized a flying spell, it is best to simply wait until it wears off before confronting her.

Methods of physically harming a witch

Salt

    Perhaps the most useful natural mineral to the sorcerer and scholar of the higher arts, salt has utility for nearly every arcane ritual. In the case of witches, a circle of salt can be used to protect oneself from all manner of direct magical attack from a witch. However, be advised: a circle of salt is useless against any mundane attack from a witch, and in some cases, from any vile creature she summons to attack you. Salt will not protect you from the resurrected deceased. In fact, as a general rule it is useless as a means of protection from most forms of necromancy (However, there may be exceptions, since salt is sometimes used by necromancers. The author, however, will not explain any techniques of that vile practice here.). A precaution: as mentioned earlier, should a bargain be struck between a witch and a human, and the human betray that bargain, a circle of salt will no longer protect that person from the witch's magic.

    Additionally, salt mixed with water can be a useful weapon against a witch. Upon contact it will burn a witch's skin, much like hot grease will sear the flesh of an ordinary person. When mixed with water blessed by a true priest or priestess, those effects are more pronounced. In sufficient quantities, salt water can be lethal to a witch, but the author finds it difficult to conceive of a means of transporting and deploying vast amounts of salt water against a witch.

Silver

    Should one engage a witch in combat, it is highly recommended that the weapons used for the engagement be forged with trace elements of silver. This will, of course, weaken the alloy, however, weapons untreated with silver are unlikely to harm a witch.

4 years ago
Wait, you're still around?

4 years ago
I've had some medical problems only old people are supposed to have, in addition to working way too many hours, but I'll at least finish this story.

4 years ago
You're bad at fake news requirements.

4 years ago
True.

4 years ago
Update three: Decided on a name for the main character: Bianca. It means white, and according to Charles Marelle (who wrote a version of the story in the 1800s), Little Red Riding Hood's name is Blanchette, which is also derived form white.

4 years ago
Update four: In the interest of meeting the quota, I'll post one of the pictures I made which sets the scene for the story's opening (things are subject to change, of course).

As of right now, the story starts on a snowy road with you hauling around the unconscious body of your mentor and guardian, when you are beset by a pack of wolves, much like in the picture. After you escape this initial predicament, the main plot will move forward. It will center on your attempt to gain the coin needed to buy a magical cure for the wounded man.

I'll try not to make it possible to die in this first encounter, but hopefully I'll be able to punish the reader for making stupid decisions. The plan for punishing such a choice, if I have time, is to cause your character to be injured in a way that makes certain attacks she will use later on less effective.

And just to head off the people who despise images, I'm not going to try to make this storygame an art show. I'll only have a few images. And yeah, I'll have items, but at this point, other than the bestiary, they are more for keeping a visual record of your inventory. If I finish the story early I'll make a more elaborate item system.

Also, I'm now tempted to make this my title page image. It's a lot cooler than my first picture of Little Red Riding Hood sitting on a horse looking bored.

4 years ago
Is that a fishing pole she is holding?

4 years ago
Buahahahah! It's a rapier. I suppose I could edit it to show the blade more clearly, but I'm not that concerned about anything other than an impression. Also need to fix her hands. Will probably just put some snow on it. But I'm not going to spend more than a few hours on pictures for this one. That took me like 45 minutes, so I think that's reasonable for having just a few. But I can't help it. Got to have images in my stuff. (>-_-)>

Maybe I should make it clearly a fishing pole though. I'm choking up at that. So absurd!

4 years ago
I was very confused. I thought the basket hilt was a reel.

4 years ago
It certainly looks like it (I'm seriously crying at your observation XD), especially the way she's holding it. But there weren't many options for pictures of that particular model for me to appropriate for the image, so I had to make do. Doing things like moving arms around is so much work.

Anyway, I think I'm probably in the minority here, but I make these stupid pictures because they help me get into the right mood to write. I guess I lack imagination, but they also help me see what I need to describe. I do, however, have a script that will allow images to be optional, thanks to Mizal, Ogre and a few others. If I have time I'll put that in so no one has to deal with my pixlr editor nonsense if they'd rather just look at text.

Won't be removing the inventory though.

4 years ago
Just for shits and giggles:

4 years ago
I approve.

4 years ago
It is very clearly a fishing pole.

4 years ago
One must find a way to catch the big bad wolf.

4 years ago
Update 5: Finished the first action sequence, which has four different ways to approach it. I've also decided on a maximum of five action sequences (the number depending upon the choices you make). The way I'll approach these parts in the story is, I'll offer a choice or two via links, and then allow the player to use items as well (which generally will include a hidden dice roll).

As far as story, I've more or less completed the prologue and am about to start on the main quest, which should consist of a journey and then solving a mystery. The last part of the story will be whatever final battles I decide on, and maybe a critical plot choice for Red Riding Hood to make.

I have the general story mapped out, with one optional quest angle at the end. Regarding story branching, there won't be massive divergence in overall plot based on your choices (Got to stick to the Little Red Riding Hood theme, which inevitably ends with a conflict between the girl and the Big Bad Wolf), but the way in which the wolf problem is solved will be up to the player, and whether or not the deeper issue behind it is resolved will be as well. Also, the fate of the companion character will be determined by the player.

So, as of right now I have a loosely mapped out direction for the story and I've completed the general mechanics of my dice rolls for item use.

4 years ago
Update 6: Not sure how many of these I have to do. I started about a week in, so it shouldn't be many more. But in any event, I have now finished a basic plot map from start to finish, divided into about five chunks of story. I've only got the first part done, but with a decent map to follow I should be good on finishing the story on time.

4 years ago
All of them, please. :)

4 years ago
Update 7: I had a portion of the dialogue where someone says, "This is madness." It was so hard not to respond with "Madness? This is SPARTA!" I almost did it.