Attack of the Grue

Player Rating3.27/8

"#735 overall, #33 for 2007"
based on 208 ratings since 11/29/2007
played 1,021 times (finished 230)

"march in the swamp"

"Make sure not to blink"

"appropriate for all ages"
Stories with this maturity level will not, by design, have any potentially objectionable content. An example of a type story with this rating would be a quiz on mathematics.

Evade the grue to find treasure.

I don't quite understand your tale,
how did I get on this short trail,
and what is a grue?
I'm so confused,
As to what my quest will entail

I think its as everyone else has said,
the plot to this story is rather dead,
or simply not there,
but don't despair,
You could write better in its stead.
-- Astatine on 8/17/2011 8:58:53 AM with a score of 0
This game has a clever little kick to it, that made me giggle a little. I think it could be far better written, and maybe could have included a real plot, characterization, etc. I don't know who I am. I don't know what the Grue are. And I didn't know I was in the cave to look for treasure until I'd found it and won! However, I do like some of the randomness and little jokes that were hidden in there, particularly when you chose to attack the narrator and got something along the lines of 'You were eaten by a Grue. Serves you right.' But this sort of thing is its only redeeming qualities.
-- Zikara on 7/12/2011 5:06:04 PM with a score of 0
I don't think this explains enough. About anything. We are left not knowing who the main character is. (For all we know, they could be a grue themselves) And what is a grue anyway? It might not be all that terrifying- I have no idea! And once more, what was the purpose of this? Is the main character on some sort of adventure? Delivering goodies to grandma's house? We can't tell by reading this because it lacks a plot. And one more thing... that riddle's answer wasn't even an actual answer because a person from the Village of Truth or the Village of Lies would have the same answer when asked that question. It's not a riddle at all.
-- jkulibert2 on 4/24/2011 5:07:17 PM with a score of 0
Amusing adventure right out of Zork! It deserves to have more description on some pages, but reads like the classic text game it is based on. With the use of the advance editor for items it really could play out like a text adventure.
-- FurryLovingGamer on 9/24/2018 2:13:00 PM with a score of 0
I died pretty fast in this. Would have liked a little more detail, but I loved that the entire storygame is a reference to the old Zork computer game.
-- ThomasLaHomme on 7/23/2018 3:39:36 PM with a score of 0
I love Zork.
-- Comply on 12/17/2017 12:18:02 AM with a score of 0
Really interesting.

For those in the comments who keep asking what a grue is - this is a reference to old Infocom games like Zork.

This storygame was not without its flaws, however. The riddle wasn't very well-done, since most of those answers would still have worked, and for the most part you're just wandering around until you happen to pick the right choice. Nevertheless, it was a neat game and I enjoyed it.

-- Saika on 8/2/2017 6:00:02 AM with a score of 0
funny. nice in jokes. it could be expanded but its a nice first effort. eaten by a kangaroo? now that's just silly
-- JasonX on 6/17/2017 5:08:44 AM with a score of 0
It saddens me that the three featured comments on this are all asking what a Grue is. I've never even played Zork, and I absolutely get the concept. The whole POINT of the monster known as a Grue is that you don't know much about it at all. No one does, and no one is supposed to. *sigh* Zork is part of interactive fiction's history and culture. Look into it sometime, for God's sake. :P
-- Kiel_Farren on 6/11/2016 3:26:51 AM with a score of 0
Darn it! That dastardly treasure grue!
-- Seto on 6/11/2016 2:59:29 AM with a score of 0