In the Pale Moonlight

a Horror by Steve24833

Commended by BerkaZerka on 11/11/2018 10:49:50 AM

Player Rating6.80/8

"Too few ratings to be ranked"
based on 42 ratings since 10/31/2018
played 1,249 times (finished 44)

"run through the jungle"

"It keeps going and going"

"anything goes"
Some material may be inappropriate for persons under age 18. If this were a movie, it would probably be R.

There are men in this world who were born to have the weight of the world on their shoulders, to have the horrors of the night carved into their souls, to see what shouldn't be seen and to defeat it. You are one of those men. You are a Hunter.

There are dark things that plague the night, things beyond what any soul should have to deal with. Things made from darkness and nightmares, things that feed upon the blood and flesh of the innocent, things that rule the night and loathe the living. These are your prey.

It is the night of your thirteenth hunt. It is time for you to take up your arms and to do what needs to be done, and make sure it's safe to walk at night once more.

This is an entry for the Creatures of the Night contest. There's thirteen endings to find, so good luck finding them. Thanks for playing, and above all, enjoy!

A Hunter! The true hope for humanity, a fiery beacon in the darkness, but sometimes you must work In Service to the Night!

Any ways, this story was a lot better than I thought it would be, for a 63k story written in a month. The beginning just set up the whole feel of the story quite well. The background and purpose of the hunters was interesting to read, as well as how they operate.

The characters were pretty developed and cool. Even though they didn't have the longest life span in the story, the each had their own distinct personality from the start. Mr. Gaange was pretty mysterious, I spent some time wondering when he would come up again.

The main thing I noticed that I didn't like was that it seemed whenever you were to FEED! it led immediately to an end game link (The Call of the Moon). It seems a good amount of the endings seemed to come up abruptly, but once again, contest entry on a time crunch so meh.

Although I'll assume there was probably a whole branch dedicated to helping the werewolves anyway. Works for me as I wasn't planning on joining those furry bastards.

Another thing, I really liked the action scenes as well, they seemed to capture the brutal and animalistic nature of fighting vampires and other such beasts of the night to the death.

Any ways, good job as always Steve.
-- corgi213 on 11/4/2018 11:23:01 AM with a score of 0
I got a lot of ‘modern day Geralt of Rivia’ and ‘witcher’ vibes from this one. Creative idea and excellent execution. Do make a sequel!
-- ShoujoAddict on 12/18/2018 1:24:06 PM with a score of 0
An amazing read with errors few and far between. Truly worth the time to take and interact with this short story.
-- JonathantheEthereal on 11/30/2018 7:12:20 PM with a score of 0
this game is amazing very compelling story

note- there should be more paths like it should be possible to beat the game while staying human
-- jesseemcauley on 11/21/2018 11:47:22 PM with a score of 0
I got the ending “Lucky Thirteen”. My only problem is with this pathline is the epilogue. It says that immediately after I get back to the Lodge, they began preparing for an attack even though nothing about my encounter with the werewolves suggested that they would counterattack or had the numbers to attack civilized places as the epilogue describes.
-- Victim on 11/17/2018 3:57:49 AM with a score of 0
This was a great game. I started reading before the contest results were announced and wasn’t surprised to hear it got 1st. Congrats. From the violent killings to the “calm before the storm” Lodge preparations, it was very impressive how you set the tone.

*Spoilers*

Let’s start with the things I enjoyed the most: The main character and his badassery, the lore, and the werewolf primal urges.

The Main Character: Good ol’ Willy. Like the description states, you have completed 12 hunts and the game takes place on the 13th. There is an interesting background page regarding William’s childhood and father – I recommend finding it (I don’t think you’re forced into it). Rather than a generic Van Helsing knock-off, which would have been an easy pit to fall into, the MC has his own story and is shaped by his own unique past.

The Main Character’s Badassery: Ok, I decided this gets a section of its own. You’re armed with a shotgun and a revolver. Pure badass. Depending on the choices you make, you become blessed by a prominent Nordic figure and make the Alpha Wolf your Alpha Bitch. Oh, and did I mention he smokes weed?

The Lore: The game shows us an unseen war that has been going on for centuries that has elements from Catholicism and Norse Mythology. An ancient order that protects weak humans from terrifying beasts could easily turn cliché, and I think Steve did tremendously well keeping the reader from having an “I’ve been here before” feeling.

The Primal Urges: HUNT! KILL! EAT! Need I say more?

There wasn’t anything that jumped out as something the story desperately lacked or needed to change. I didn’t mind The Fool’s riddles; I thought it was a fun twist and a nice break to the dark, gloomy setting. There were a couple places where a title or sentence was mistyped, but that’s easily corrected and didn’t affect my rating at all. I read through two endings and was deeply entertained the whole time.

8/8
-- ninjapitka on 11/15/2018 1:01:38 PM with a score of 0
Engaging story, well-written, some paragraphs are chopped off but not a big deal. Characters have distinct, interesting personalities and back story.

I wished some of the options have more impact on the story, like deciding whether to kill a monster, and answering the fool's riddles.

Also, there are still many questions left unanswered, like what is the background of Mr. Gaanges, what do the witches do.

It will be fantastic if this story can be further developed.
-- zeewonka on 11/14/2018 1:50:34 AM with a score of 0
This one may just be better than most of EndMaster's works.
-- Nazhfa on 11/12/2018 6:30:50 AM with a score of 0
This is a fun ride. You packed a lot of supernatural into a short night.
-- LuvLee on 11/3/2018 12:25:18 PM with a score of 0