Player Comments on Read My Stories or Die!

My favourite part of this game was the beginning; I found it to be quite funny. I also loved how the discs were so easy to find – there was ample foreshadowing that something more might be required of the reader. I did happen to notice that although six of the discs were picked up automatically, the one in the engine room needed to be clicked on manually. Also, even though the discs were described as being multicolored, they all had the same appearance. I presume the protagonist was looking at the underside of the discs, but some differences would have been nice. I loved the description of the different locations on the ship (the "space-sounding place", for example, or the "radioactive red herring" in the engineering room). The dialogue on the first few pages of this section was also hilarious. Overall, the tone of this part of the story was excellent.

The premise of this game is that the player must find seven discs, each of which contain a short story written by the ship's previous captain (Marizal). Before blasting herself into the Sun, she decides to set the ship on a similar course. There is only one way to revert your direction: to *gasp* read through the seven short stories, and demonstrate basic reading comprehension. To the protagonist, this is a detestable task, comparable to meeting a burning demise.

I was a bit surprised that the stories took on a different tone than the rest of the game. Most of them took place in a fantasy setting, with one exception (which was more of a sci-fi dystopia). They were all extremely well-written. Grammar mistakes were rare, and the prose flowed very well. I did feel like the pacing was a bit slow in some of them: perhaps they might be improved by adding more suspense into their beginnings. However, the endings for each story were very well thought-out, and carefully foreshadowed by the titles. I've left some brief thoughts on each of these pieces below.

The Only Peace Possible: The premise of this story is interesting: Earth is war-stricken, and you – as well as several thousand other people – are travelling on a ship to a new planet. The captain of the ship begins by delivering a speech asking for its passengers to never again go to war, everyone having seen the tragedies that have struck their families and loved ones on their previous planet. (SPOILERS): The story made me sad, but I think that was the point. I wasn’t expecting that out of Carl, and I felt the betrayal experienced by the captain. The title was very fitting. This was probably my favourite one of the seven.

Little Things: The pacing was a bit slow in the beginning. However, the world-building and characterization was very well done. (SPOILERS): The twist at the end was quite clever. I especially liked the line about ‘details’, and how it matched up with the title.

All Aloft: Loved the quiz for this one.

A Dragon Comes Calling: I think the dragon was my favourite character. The dialogue was well-written. I liked the conversation between the thief and the creature, at the end.

Snow White, Blood Red: A nice title, again. The main characters in this one were just so innocent…

Bait and Switch: (SPOILERS): I really liked this one. The pacing was good, and I wasn’t expecting the double twist! Good job pulling that off in such a short piece.

Death’s Shadow: I really enjoyed this one, too. The ending was fitting, considering the premise. Including Death as a character in your story is an interesting premise. This was probably my second favourite of the seven.

The ending of your story (after the protagonist finishes reading through all seven short stories) is nice, too, but I really wish it had been longer. You’re really good at writing humour, and I was hoping to see more of it. I think you could improve this by adding a few more pages to it. It was still good, though.

Solid job overall. 6/8.
-- Reader82 on 1/4/2020 11:07:30 PM with a score of 0
Even though it’s another tale in the wonderful world of CYStia, I’m going to comment like it were any other story. You’re going to read it... or die!

Well, nothing like a casual dropping of the “C” word to grab your attention in a story. At least for us Americans, it sticks out. Them Brits use it every other word in their sentences. The narrator in the story has a sassy voice. One might call them a “C U Next Tuesday” as well. Cunts aside, the tone fits the story perfectly. It’s sort of a mix between a reluctant groan (not groin) and belittlement.

I was wondering how conflict would be introduced in a mock story like this and it was done well. It’s no secret from the opening page that Captain Marizal is the primary villain. Her evilness knows no bounds as she expects the crewmembers of CYStia to actually read. Evil at its finest. What kind of ship does she think this is? Anyway, the title of the storygame becomes very real. You’re sent, well more forced, on a mission to find and read the Captain’s stories or you will explode.

It was hilariously easy to find all the disks. I think Captain Marizal made it that way on purpose. I guess if you want people to read your writing, you should make it easy to find. The realism checks out. Then comes the hard part for the reader. Actually reading it. I suppose a cheater could utilize the “back” button to easily go back and find the answers to the questions. Luckily, the crew members of the USS CYStia are full of integrity and would never do that, right? Also, you get the option to answer the question again if you got it wrong. Guess she really wants you to read her damn stories. I can’t help but think the outdated Data Reader is a metaphor for the site. Actually, I know it is. Fun(ny) storygame here. Even if Captain Marizal is kind of a bitch, her writing is top-notch quality.
-- ninjapitka on 5/3/2019 11:52:44 AM with a score of 0
Hilarious from beginning to end. I would actually like to see storygames made from the mini stories written by Mariazal because they were actually a delight to read. Overall, great game 8/8.
-- SmileForTheCamera on 1/2/2020 3:03:50 PM with a score of 0
See now, we've come a long way from this ship to the mighty battlecruiser that is now orbiting Infinity!

So, this was hilarious from start to finish, and it reminded me of when I am trying to explain to students that it's *only three pages you can stay awake while you read them* and they just look at me with horror and a single drop of saliva pooling at the corner of their mouth.

I laughed at the space blow and space weed. But I lost it somewhere in the middle of A Dragon Comes Calling, and then I double lost it when I opened the supply closet.

It is not easy to write good comedy, but the tone of the narrative voice (weary, pissed off, sort of vaguely-amused-but-might-punch-you) and the can't-deal-with-this-exposition-shit of even the item descriptions nails it.
-- Gower on 8/28/2019 8:13:03 PM with a score of 0
Liked it a lot
8/8 without thinking it.
-- Persuasion on 2/16/2018 9:56:05 AM with a score of 0
I couldn't help but enjoy the main backstory almost as much as the short stories, plot twists included.
8/8
-- Daemon_d6 on 2/11/2018 9:14:37 AM with a score of 0
Interesting game. Some of the quiz questions were a bit pointless, but I got through them no trouble. Except for the dragon one where a question was what did the characters think of each other, and the answer was dragon. I never read anyone saying the palladin/princess had a personality of a dragon.
-- BunnyCatMouse99100 on 2/1/2018 8:21:20 PM with a score of 0
If I had wanted to read a collection of basically unrelated short stories, I would have read a collection of short stories.
-- Victim on 1/22/2018 10:33:55 PM with a score of 0
Lmaoo awesome story. Also the stories within the story were pretty interesting.
-- corgi213 on 1/21/2018 1:24:58 PM with a score of 0
I love the poem written in Death's Shadow, honest! Even better if every part of every story were created in your own words
"Winged lord of the mountain,
Flames no mortal could tame,
Humbled only by Death,
In Death’s shadow we pray."
-- TestingJest on 1/11/2018 10:53:28 PM with a score of 0
I really like your writing style, Miz. Your voice comes through very clearly.

10/10
-- EZunmaker on 1/2/2018 10:22:06 PM with a score of 0
The plot is simple. The captain, Marizal, is angry that nobody reads her stories, so she decides to force people to do it. It's up to you, the reader, to save this pointless spaceship and your pointless life by reading a few short stories and answering questions. This could also be a school based story, with the spaceship being a school and Marizal an angry librarian, but I suppose this approach is more unique. The captain doesn't remind me of any real people at all. ;)
This wasn't as awful as I thought it would be after reading the title and description, so I'm sorry for the wrong assumptions. The shortstories were all posted on the site before, but I'm sure there're a lot of people that haven't read them yet. Besides, they were good and I enjoyed rereading them. It would've been nicer to see something new, but with the time limit, I didn't expect a masterpiece.
This was quite linear, but for a quiz, I guess that's expected. A lot of the questions asked for rather pointless details, like what were the priests decorated with. Why does that matter? They weren't hard, because you could always go back and read the story again. Just not something I'd remember, even if I read the story just a minute ago. This quiz would have been a little harder if the reader wasn't told what's wrong immediately, but only at the end. I'm not sure how much scripting would be required for that.
Hmm, how should I rate this? We all know that Mizal could've written something better, but a lot of us could and just never start. We don't have many quizzes on here, and most of them are shit. It was fun and the shortstories were good. This story is not the best, but certainly not the worst. I might change my mind and give it a 4 later, but for now I'm feeling nice.
-- Mayana on 1/1/2018 8:07:41 AM with a score of 0
Interesting idea.
I wasn't too keen on the opening few pages, but the short stories were pretty good.
At the point where you had to insert the disks, I thought it was some sort of cipher/code-breaking challenge; I was thinking the first letter of each disk colour would form part of an anagram or something (I could make "CYS" but then was left with "GFEP"). Maybe that's an idea I'll use some time.
Anyway, I enjoyed it.