The Cat and the Crow

a Everything Else by Crescentstar

Commended by BerkaZerka on 11/11/2018 10:50:21 AM

Player Rating5.75/8

"Too few ratings to be ranked"
based on 25 ratings since 10/31/2018
played 211 times (finished 25)

"march in the swamp"

"Not going to lose any sleep"

"aren't you a little too old to be trick or treating"
Some material may be inappropriate for persons under age 13. If this were a movie, it would probably be PG-13.

As I told Leora: "My story is about a cat that wants to save a human village. :D"

Village and town are used interchangeably. I suppose you could say the village is developing into a town in the time frame of the story.

The "At Night" page is pretty much the same for every path.

Each path sheds light on different aspects of Cat and his backstory (as well as everyone else's), so reading through 2/5 endings will give you a decent picture. Every choice offers its own unique path with the exception of one or two. There are 5 Epilogues and 1 Stupid Ending. Diminishing humanity, hunger, insanity, and darkness all feature in this storygame.

Enjoy! :3

I had some reservations about playing this storygame given my history with storygames featuring a cat as the protagonist, but I'm surprised to say that "The Cat and the Crow" exceeded all expectations by a large margin.

The story is about a cat named Cat that's on a mission to save the village from an evil force. I won't go much further than that as I don't want to spoil anything, but for what this story is presented as, it offered a number of surprises that kept me interested enough for me to keep reading even despite my distaste for cat stories.

Most of the choices you make do, in fact, affect which of the six endings you'll get and this story avoids the common issue choices being a mere illusion entirely. This was yet another pleasant surprise for me because some of the choices you make seem mundane, but they do place you on one path or another.

The story is well-written, excellent grammar and punctuation, and a decent variety of choices. It's a simple story with good execution - plain and simple. My final verdict is a 6/8.
-- Domitus on 11/29/2018 8:27:48 AM with a score of 5
You adopted this original perspective with remarkable ease and I liked the concept of using animals as demonic/angelic figures instead of the usual antropomorphic ones.

The technical department (grammar, writing style) was also without any particular flaws and I liked the way the story branched out despite being relatively short.

The only thing I didn't appreciate much was how there was no way of straying from an evil ending, even if I know that the themes of the contest could have been interpreted so as to make it a strictly bad-ending story. I still think at least one slightly good ending could have added to the variety of the CYOA, but I liked most of the existing finales nonetheless (especially the ones in which Crow seems to be questioning her choices).
-- undr on 11/27/2018 11:30:14 AM with a score of 5
I am impressed with this story. I haven't read any of your other storygames, but I'll consider this one to be a gateway drug.

I enjoyed the narrative style. It lent itself to a perspective that was flexible enough to objectively dictate the story, but still convey the world as the protagonist (or other POV) perceived it. There were moments, however, where the narrative seemed to clash with itself.

An example of said clash, "Then dropped the damn hammer onto his foot." This line feels like the perspective belongs to Mr. Manson, or even an unseen narrator, moreso than Cat. Would cat think of it as being the 'damn' hammer? It seems to be a frustrated sentiment while Cat's demeanor is more concerned and empathetic. Even with a detached narrative, a consistency of perspective is necessary to maintain cohesion between clauses.

I thought the multiple endings were interesting and independently-developed well, not just a different dressing on the same salad. The impact of the choices selected were meaningful, so I did more link exploration in order to get all of the endings (not sure how many endings existed outside of the counted ones). Each path was strong enough to warrant it's own investigation, though.

This was a fun storygame. Thank you for the interesting read.

Side note: More fun to be had when read in Morgan Freeman's voice.
-- OriginalClamurai on 11/27/2018 10:14:08 AM with a score of 5
...Wow.

I was really not expecting that witchy twist.

I spent a really long time trying to find the fifth (sixth, really) ending.
-- psychiclianna on 1/13/2019 3:42:11 AM with a score of 5
Quite dark but great nonetheless.
-- Victim on 12/13/2018 1:52:07 AM with a score of 5