Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Removing Bullet Points from Deleted Links

6 years ago

Hey, gang. I've been making progress on my first storygame (slow progress when you realize I started in December of last year!) and I've run into a little technical snag. I found I can have a scene where a character answers other characters' questions and then return to the list of questions characters can ask, but I've had to re-arrange some links and now I have empty bullet-points where there where links. How do I get rid of those phantom link bullet points? And I'm using the classic app for this one because I'm convinced the Advanced Editor App would kick my novice ass. Any advice is welcome. Thanks. :) 

6 years ago
Change to advanced. You likely won't even notice the difference.

You should be able to remove links with the shiny big red X next to them. That might only appear in advanced, though I'm not sure.

6 years ago

Your advice about the red x's worked. Thanks.

6 years ago
While we're on the topic of bullet points, what controls their color? See, I had all my bullet points the same color before, but then, after tweaking with script to put a div in my global page which created a link at the top of the page (after an exhaustive two days of kind forum members giving tons of help), all my bullet points went black except one- but I can't remember exactly what I changed to cause taht. I'm sure there's some sort of closure of a style or font tag somewhere responsible, but in the meantime, what would the script be for it?

For the record, what I'm using in global script regarding links is this (greater than/less than turned into brackets), with an additional portion (provided by Ogre11) which hides the titles at the top (note: the bullets were still working fine when I added this, if I recall):

$PAGETEXT := "[style] a, a:hover { color: #fe7503; } .dark1border {visibility:hidden} [/style]"+ $PAGETEXT

Then, on every page, in the script icon at the top left, I have this:

$PAGETEXT := "[style]p {color: #ff9b00;}[/style]" + $PAGETEXT

If I were being honest, I can't remember why, since I put color and font tags in the text on the page anyway.

So generally speaking, what controls the color of the bullet points on links?

6 years ago

The bullet points of list items inherit the color of their parent; i.e. by default they're the color of the surrounding text. You can explicitly define the color using the CSS "color" property on the li element.

I'm replying to the main post because @Fluxion you have an unclosed strong tag and I don't want to edit lock you.

6 years ago
Yeah sorry about that. That's twice in two days lol. There, fixed it (me thinks there's a pattern here... and it's showing up in my storygame script, too, screwing everything up). Just wanted to bring attention to the last line, because that was my main question.

May I ask what the li element is? I know I can globally color links on the global page script, and I can also do it on the page. I do have a global link script in my global page, but it only affects the text, not the bullet points... except for some reason on one page there is a bullet point the same color of the text.

6 years ago

A <!--<-->li<!-->--> element is a list item. In HTML you define a <!--<-->ul<!-->--> or <!--<-->ol<!-->--> (a bulleted or numbered list) and then have several <!--<-->li<!-->--> elements inside of it. You might use "li {color: red;}" if you wanted all the bullets to be red, and since the links inside have their own color, they won't inherit the red.

6 years ago
By the way, just for future reference for those asking later, I figured out a page by page way of doing it. Just have a font color tag, like this,

[font size="3" color ="#d4b610" face="(insert whatever web-safe font you like)"] -with <> instead of brackets, of course.

Put it at the top of the page, and leave it UNCLOSED. Then, whatever color you want the text of your page to be, just paste another one in front of the text, and close that font at the end of the text. The result will be that your text will be the embedded and CLOSED font color, while the bullets will also be unclosed font color. (note sure if you have to do the reposting of font color and closing for every paragraph, but this worked in my test game)

I have no idea why this seems to work, but it does, so I'm going with it.

6 years ago

Please do not do this. Barring the deprecation of font tags, leaving a tag unclosed like that is very invalid HTML and the result you're getting is due to web browsers' fault tolerance. It "works" because the unclosed font tag ends up encapsulating everything beneath it as per typical browser behavior while the intermittent, closed font tags override its styles temporarily.

If you wanted a similar effect, you could use CSS to apply a color or font to the ".dark1border + div" selector (the area of the page that contains the page text, links, and inventory).

6 years ago
Okay I'll look into trying to make that work. Thanks.

6 years ago
Just putting li {color: #fe7503;} in the global script solved it. Thanks again.

With this, I do believe I FINALLY have all the scripting I want in my game. Now I can finally work on writing it (lol). 2.7 of three acts to go, and about 3/4 of a month to do finish...

6 years ago
Indeed! And in some cases when you leave open tags, other browsers will interpret things differently!