Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Setting Background Images

4 years ago

I've read the article on assigning background images ('How to Create A Great Title Page', by Zikara). I have tried inputting the following code into the scripting of a page, as the article suggests:  $PAGETEXT := $PAGETEXT + <body background='URL HERE'>  (of course, replacing the 'URL here' with the URL for my desired image). I've also tried going directly into the source code and typing this: <body background="URL">. 

However, neither of these options seems to work. The background is still just plain white, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've done other page scripting before that has worked (such as for adding new text, or for changing the colour of text on a page), so I don't think I'm messing up something with the scripting. Does anyone know why this isn't working?

4 years ago
I don't see a global script in the game. Where are you putting that?

Anyway, I can't test anything right now, but if you go browsing back a little ways on this board there are threads with explanations for backgrounds, it's a common question.

4 years ago

Thanks Mizal. 

It was a page script on the specific page 'Act 1' in chapter 1; I didn't want it to be a global page script. Most of the other forum posts suggested the code that wasn't working, but on one page BradinDvorak was nice enough to suggest a code that worked. The working code is :

$PAGETEXT := "<style>

body { background: url('insert URL here');

}

</style>" + $PAGETEXT

Anyways, I've got it working now. Apparently other people have been having the same problem with the previous code. Perhaps this modification should be made to the original article. 

4 years ago

I agree. When it worked for most people, it was alright (kind of a gross method but at least it was simpler to plug in), but now that it’s so unreliable, it’s definitely not great to keep it the way it is.

4 years ago
What exactly changed to break Zikara's method?

I thought she was supposed to have been legendary at this stuff.

4 years ago

Can’t definitively say, especially since it still works for some, but my guess is support is dwindling? The ‹body background› attribute has been deprecated for a few years, the tag is unclosed, and putting an extra ‹body› in the document like that has never been legal HTMLwise (granted, putting a ‹style› outside of the ‹head› isn’t “legal” either). I figure the combination of nonstandard factors are leading modern browsers to increasingly choose to ignore it.