Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Character stats

3 years ago
I'm trying to make an RPG, and I have no clue where to start...

Character stats

3 years ago

While RPGs are technically possible, anything beyond having some stats is going to require a lot of effort, as you'll have to write up the battle mechanics and all of that yourself. The scripting language with chooseyourstory is called CYS Script and you can read about it in these two places. Find good-looking articles and have at it.
- http://chooseyourstory.com/help
- http://chooseyourstory.com/forums/advanced-editor-forum

Character stats

3 years ago
Thanks. I doubt I'll be able to figure this all out. If I can't, I'll just use RPG Maker on the 3DS, I guess.

Character stats

3 years ago
Don't try to write on a 3DS, you lunatic.

Try ADRIFT maybe, if you have a PC. Although that's still a text game maker. If you're wanting a graphical RPG you're looking in the wrong place.

ADRIFT let's you make more complicated text RPGs pretty easily, like Skybreak. (Although the online runner is unfortunately a little janky right now, much better to download it.)

Character stats

3 years ago

Honestly, if CYS Script is too much to handle for a text-based RPG, a graphical one in RPG Maker isn't going to be any easier. Good luck either way. Since you mentioned that, I also want to point out this site just won't work for RPGs with graphics, since it's not built for it. That'd all be HTML/JS if you forced it to.

Good luck.

Character stats

3 years ago
Using the help articles to learn to make variables would be your first step, although you're looking at a lot of work using a scripting system not really designed for that. And either way I'd really recommend just practicing with a regular CYOA story first of all, because if you can't impress with the writing side of things, the mechanics won't matter.

Delve! and Dungeon Stompage are the most RPG like things we have here. Stats and skill checks and all that are doable, but ultimately any game is going to come down to clicking links and rolling dice, and there's a limit to how exciting that can be on its own.