Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

On-page variable tricks with system variables

one year ago

Does anyone know of a way to make system variables appear on the page as text?  I've tried %%ITEMUSED12%% and $$ITEMUSED12$$, but no luck.

As a workaround, I can create a variable to store the value by pasting %STORAGE := $ITEMUSED12 into the link that leads to the page I need to display it on, but I have to do this for a lot of items and I'd like to avoid creating so many duplicate variables.  Does anyone know how to get system variables to show on-page values like ordinary variables?

one year ago
Can I get a link to the game?

You might end up needing duplicate variables though, either the way you described or just creating one for each item up front and setting them globally to match each $ITEMUSED.

one year ago

Here's a link but I doubt it will help you at all, since I haven't even begun to try coding the section where I'll need this yet, and I deleted the experimentation I was doing.  All I really need to know is if system variables can be used for on-page text changes the same way ordinary variables can

one year ago
I just didn't want to mess with setting any placeholder items up, in case that mattered.

Looks like %%$ITEMUSED12%% will do it though, I just tested it on the first page.

one year ago

I tried that, but it shows up as 0 no matter how many times I use the item.  I set a storage variable to the value of $ITEMUSED12 and that's showing up as the right number, so I know it's not a problem with the ITEMUSED tracker.

one year ago
F

Maybe @BerkaZerka can suggest something else, but you will probably end up needing either the storage variable, or the matching ones set up globally.

one year ago

Alright, thanks for taking the time to look into this

one year ago
While nothing about the editor is especially difficult, there's frequently a lot of tedium involved in setting things like this up, you must just accept this if fancy RPGs are in your future.

one year ago
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the system variables are only available in the scripting portions. There's a section of one of the old help files that implies that, but doesn't outright say it.

one year ago
Yep, I'm pretty sure you will have to use %Variables only or page scripting.