Non-threaded

Forums » Bugs & Problems » Read Thread

Post reports about problems or bugs in here.

My writing gets mashed together

2 months ago
Whenever I try to write descriptions to my stories, and just now when I tried to submit an article, my writing all gets mashed into one long wall of text when it's published, with no spacing or paragraph breaks and apostrophes like ' become question marks like ?. I've had this problem for years so I've tried to keep my story descriptions quite short but I think this article on writing advice might be useful so it would be handy if I could get this problem fixed. That's Plan A, Plan B is I could just send the text of my article to an admin (or post it as a message in the Writing Workshop) and if they think it's ok they can publish it and I'll stick to keeping my story descriptions short (which they usually are anyway).

2 months ago
It's not really a bug. The description page has always just requires html for formatting. I think I've mentioned that to you before, or I know I've manually fixed your descriptions a few times before anyway. You should be able to go into the ones where I've done this and see what the line break tag looks like if you ever want it for your own use.

Needing html for articles is a bit more annoyimg, but new articles are written so rarely it's just one of those things.

2 months ago
Sorry if I've mentioned this before and thanks for the fixes, I can see the html in the ones you've fixed before. It's

to start a new paragraph,

to end a paragraph and @#39; to use an apostrophe (I'll just avoid using contractions). I'll give the article a go with this html and see if I can sort out the text wall.

2 months ago
Oh no lol, the @#39 isn't my doing. That's an artifact of pasting "fancy" curled punctuation marks from Word or Google docs to the plain text format. (You'll have to talk to somebody else for the why of that, but it's just basically telling the browser to display a special character instead of the actual punctuation mark.)
All you need to know for basic formatting is <p> or <br/> for paragraph breaks, and <b></b> or <i></i> to enclose bold or italic text.

2 months ago
Thanks, all sorted now :)