Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

Storygame Choice

3 years ago

Okay, so, I have four storygames. The first one, Candyland, was going pretty good, but then my ideas started to get dry, so I'm letting that one sit on the shelf. The second one, Galatic Space Program, is the one I'm currently working on. The third one, Posia, School of Magic, hasn't even started yet. And the fourth one, the Cragflowers, is still in the beginning stages. 
I'm having trouble figuring out which ones I should continue. All of them had a decent main idea, so this is challenging.

Storygame Choice

3 years ago
Coming up with cool ideas is much quicker to do than actually writing it all out.

This is why it is often suggested to start small, as it increases the chances of actually finishing the stories.

Obviously, what you do is up to you, but I'd say try to limit how many stories you're working on. It might be four stories now, but what about next week? Will it be eight?

When you say that Candyland is going 'pretty good', are you close to finishing it? For some people, pushing to write even when they're not totally in the mood is the only way they'll finish anything, so it is worth considering just putting words onto the page.

Remember that you can always go back and change things you've written if they're not good enough. Having just a first draft written, no matter how bad, can be helpful.

You say you're writing 'Galatic Space Program' now, are you losing interest in that as well? If not, I'd definitely say to keep at it and finish, rather than starting something new.

Not all stories that are started get finished, and it is much easier to not finish anything (I'd know), so try to work to finish things (even if they don't end up as good, or if the story ends up being shorter than you'd initially planned).

That's my advice, and remember, editing is powerful!

Storygame Choice

3 years ago

When you say that Candyland is going 'pretty good', are you close to finishing it?

Nope. It was starting off good, but then I got to a point where I didn't know where to go and how to make the story interesting anymore. 

You say you're writing 'Galatic Space Program' now, are you losing interest in that as well?

I'm currently working on it, but I'm not losing interest. 

Storygame Choice

3 years ago
You can come back to Candyland when you have some ideas, or try to think about how to end it (depending on how far you got, this might make for a rather short story though).

However, length can be short, just make sure there are some choices.

Heck, short stories are easier to proofread! It is also easier for people to finish reading them, aha.

Anyway, I'd still say focus on the second one.

Depending on how much you like to plan, you might want to consider thinking about where the story is currently going. By having some idea (even vague) of what endings there will be, you can make sure you're working towards that.

This can help make sure you don't get to a point where you don't know how to continue.

But enough rambling! If you're writing, you're making progress, so good work in that regard.

Storygame Choice

3 years ago

Okay, thank you!