Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 8/19/2019: See comments.

Item Organization

6 years ago

I'm presently creating a game that utilizes dozens of items, a few of which have the exact same name so that said items can be dropped and replaced (with different text) without breaking immersion. Unfortunately, it is swiftly becoming apparent that I've written myself into a bit of a nightmare.

Thus far, I'm 4 variations into a "same-named" item and I've already had to start over when I couldn't figure out where in the chain I'd messed up. The biggest issue was keeping track of which of the 4 I needed to select for the various pages they appear on. Something like a "Chapter" system would be nothing short of a godsend for my project, and likely any other project that deals with a ton of items.

At the moment, there's no way to organize items in any way aside from deleting and re-adding them. If adding a "Chapter" system would be too much trouble, there are actually two other possible solutions that'd still be a huge help for item-heavy projects! Specifically, listing the items' number on the Chapters & Pages editor when selecting an Item Restriction/Item Drop. Or, alternatively, allowing items to be named differently in the editor than they appear in the actual game.

I appreciate your consideration, either way!

As an aside, I did figure everything out eventually. However...Since 4 variations gave me quite a bit of trouble, I can only assume it'll take about 1/4 of an eternity to implement the rest of my vision. x_x 

Item Organization

6 years ago
If the text is literally the only difference its worth noting that you can use on page variable tricks to change the text.

%%itema%=%0%Level 1%%%%itema%=%1%Level 2%%

Works on the item 's description text.

Item Organization

6 years ago
Going by his other question which would also be solved by changing text on a page, this seems like something it would be useful to learn, yes. I get probably more use out of on page scripting than anything else, just to keep from having to bloat a story with duplicate pages or do a bunch of copy and pasting.

Item Organization

6 years ago

I feel hopeless lost with all of these various scripts. x_x
I've been playing around with different options, but I don't quite understand how to implement everything. With the script you mentioned, how would you incorporate the different possible text displays, based on variables?

For example...

Blank page at the start.
123 added once Variable 1 reaches x.
abc added once Variable 2 reaches y.

And so on and so forth.

Item Organization

6 years ago
You don't. On page variable text only checks against one variable at a time.

If you want an example, tell me exactly what you want. An example of something that vague probably wouldn't even help you.

Although "technically" the following would work:

%%variable1%=%3%123%%
%%variable2%=%1%abc%%

And if neither passes the page doesn't have text added to it, so its blank.

Item Organization

6 years ago
On-Page Scripting is the bomb (says the guy who wrote an Article about it) haha!

Item Organization

6 years ago
Just a suggestion for the specific problem in the OP; number your items and then when you're done linking everything up change the names to all be the same.