Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

MyVacation Storygame is Here!

10 years ago

Hey all you Storygame makers/readers!

I would just like to announce that my newest storygame, "MyVacation" has officially been published! It took me 3 months to make and includes well over 400 pages! 

If you're into non-linear games like "The Sims", then I highly recommend giving it a try: http://chooseyourstory.com/story/myvacation

Please leave a rating or comment on your thoughts. If you have an idea or have a review, let me know as well! 

10 years ago

Really Creative, I just started, but I'm already enjoying it! :)

10 years ago

I added a new update to the game. I've introduced a "Cheat Mode" at the Main Menu, which allows you to get unlimited money, skills, and relationships. That way if you don't want the hassle of running around, you can enjoy the game in your own way.

10 years ago

Add a suggestion to cheats mode: Give me all the items!

10 years ago

I enjoyed the game my vacation!

you should make more games like this but in Real home! That would exactly as The Sims!

10 years ago

Thanks WarriorCats for all the feedback and comments! I do plan on taking it off for a while to fix all those nasty bugs. (And thanks again for that list of bugs on the ratings page!) I do have some ideas for my next update:

Spring Update (TBA)

+2 New Jobs that pay EVEN MORE!

+2 New Characters!

+A New Scuba Diving Adventure! (With a new Scuba Diving Skill to max out!)

+2 New Locations!

+A few other improvements and fixes!

P.S. Unfortunately giving all the items cheat would be too hard and I'm not very good at scripting. MyVacation is a Script-Free game.

10 years ago
If you want I can help with scripting. I'm good at that kind of thing.

10 years ago

I just remembered:

1: You can't chat with the dancer.

2: Energy must be -1 to go to the hospital.

3:  There is no such thing as The energy drink.( At least I think so, I tried everything! Even the potions!"

4: In cheat mode when you buy the most expensive house, You can't get the spa card or the VIP card.

Suggestions:

In the first few rooms they are all the same. Add something to them!

10 years ago

1: I'll have to fix that still.

2: I kind of did it on purpose. For example, if you play old school games like Mario, 0 was considered a life. In programming, 0 is the first number too. Unless you want one less energy? Haha

3: The Energy Drink is sold at the Resort Snack Shop in the Main Lobby. I do plan to add a coffee shop soon.

4: The cheat mode is a little weird because it takes away the progression from the storyline. I guess I'll have to make the spa key card and the night club pass separate things for purchase.

5: The first few rooms don't have anything because of the items you get when you buy them (spa key card, night club pass). If I do "4", then I'll have to add new features to the rooms. 

10 years ago

Thanks!

10 years ago

I found something wierd.

Even if you didn't publish the game right now, going to http://chooseyourstory.com/story/myvacation could play the game.( I see you added a tour guide)

10 years ago
You can play unpublished games that have sneak preview enabled.

10 years ago

That's pretty cool, actually. I'm assuming you can't rate or comment though, right?

10 years ago

Sneak preview is on for the game, which lets people access it without it being publicly viewable (so long as they have the link).

I'm pretty sure they can still rate and comment on it, but I could be wrong.

10 years ago
Yeah you can rate and comment. Though in BerkaZerka's words "It is considered bad form to do that" Which is why I don't rate stuff until it's published. I do read it though from time to time.

10 years ago

So I published the game, once again, with the new update. It took a lot sooner than I thought it would. Unless there's a game stopping bug, I don't plan to make anymore updates for a while. Maybe for the holidays but that's a long time from now. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did making it!

10 years ago

Awesome!

10 years ago

So now that MyVacation has been up for a bit, I have a few questions for you all:

1) If a MyVacation sequel were to be made, which characters would you like to see come back for the sequel? 

2) Given all the needs (Hunger, Bathroom, Fun, Energy), did it seem like "too much" to worry about? Or was it just right?

3) MyVacation is a sandbox game. Do you prefer more linearity in the storyline or vice-versa?

4) Are there any other comments/reviews that you would like to bring up? 

These questions are just for survey purposes. I want to know some feedback for future reference.

10 years ago

I'll co-author if you want

10 years ago

I would like to see Victor back!

All the needs are good.

(I could be co-author too if you want)

10 years ago

I loved it, but I thought the prices on the hotel rooms could've been decreased a little bit.

10 years ago

I want either Nigel or David, they're awesome! David could just be, like, visiting, and Nigel, you could buy... That stuff... Oh, and the professor, too!

10 years ago

1) I pretty much like all the characters, so bring back any characters you'd like.;)

2) I think that the needs were just fine

3) I prefer non-linear games, but I can play a good linear game.

4) N/A

Really Awesome game, keep up the good effort!

10 years ago

Thanks for all the opinions! Unfortunately, David isn't going to make an appearance in MV2. Neither will Victor because depending on what choices you made, he can get killed. 

I'm on the fence with Nigel, you'll just have to wait and find out. :)

Two characters from MV1 will come back to MV2. 

Also, the room situation is also going to be a bit different as well.

10 years ago

Hm, what if we made random cameos of original characters?  They aren't necessarily intractable, but maybe they can be hinted at via a small clue.

[Ex. 1 : "Did you hear about that lady in (insert placeholder name here)?  She got some medicine from the locals to treat stomach flu!"]

10 years ago

Which two character?

10 years ago

If I revealed the characters, it wouldn't be a surprise, would it? 

There will be a lot of references to Paradise Place! 

The largest thing that's going to be different in MV2 is going to be the new system of  moving around. Energy isn't going to be as much of an issue anymore. 

10 years ago

That's good... because energy killed me in the first one...

10 years ago

Was totally epic!

10 years ago

Just for future reference, MyVacation 1 is an open ended game. You can pretty much quit whenever you want. The only real way to "beat" the game is to max out everything in MyScrapbook.

MyVacation 2 will have an end next time around. 

10 years ago

It was great! Too bad I couldn't save… I missed playing the game! It was fun!

9 years ago

Well... I'm asking Appdude for an update. I don't think he'll say yes...