Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Helpful Info Page

8 years ago

In the story game I'm currently working on I've created my own fantasy world for it, and because of this no one reading/ playing it will know anything about this world before hand. One way around this that I'm thinking of doing is creating 'Helpful Info' pages which take people aside for a moment, telling them information about important people/ places/ history and the like, before they can then return to the story. These would be optional pages to go to of course, I wouldn't be forcing you to read all this.

What do people think of this? Is this a good way to tell everyone about the information they need to know about this world? Or should I try and find a more subtle way of writing all this info into the story?

Helpful Info Page

8 years ago

I've seen this in several stories. I find that it works fairly well, as long as you don't do it to often as it does in your words "take you aside" and if it happens to often it may break the experience. but seeing as I'm probably going use this (probably ignoring all my advice) go ahead.

Helpful Info Page

8 years ago

Sounds fine to me, though I know some people don't like it for various reasons.

Helpful Info Page

8 years ago
Just make sure you spread out said pages. There's nothing more annoying then 8 links to pages of "things you should know about this world before you move on" popping up.

If its just one page giving specific info when it's relevant, then its fine.