Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Children with Illegal Immigrant Parents

8 years ago

So we're having to do a research paper over some topic in my English class and I decided to chose the topic of children of illegal immigrants. In my research I've discovered that there are debates of whether children with illegal parents are legal or not. I to know y'alls opinion.

8 years ago

This topic dosent have much facts, opinions without facts causes anarchy.

8 years ago

This thread is going to be nuked, as it may require moderation. 

8 years ago

I don't like that every thread involving politics is always getting deleted, now. Also, requires moderation?

8 years ago

The usual thing is that the mods says for those is usually the original post does not state a side, so it comes of as someone starting a conversational topic just to see the sparks fly.

8 years ago

I don't like that every thread involving politics devolves into ad hominem and appeals to authority. 

In this case though, blue's right: this is a popcorn thread.  Wolf's bringing up a controversial subject without stating an opinion. Comes across as inciting an argument for entertainment.  Or in this case, trying to get other ppl to provide research data for your class paper. XD 

8 years ago

Haha, Wolf knows how to do his homework the right way.

Still think we should keep this one unless it devolves, there's some potential to be had here.

8 years ago

Deleting threads at the slightest hint of provocation means any debate is prevented before it can even happen (or stopped as soon as it's getting interesting), and any debate that does get through is boring and overly safe.

Passion is what makes debate of any subject have any fire to them, otherwise what gets through the filter is just an endless tedium of back and forth that no one gives a shit about. You're right, ad hom shouldn't be done, but most of the threads haven't had any, at least from what I've seen before they get deleted.

8 years ago

That's not really what the mods are concerned about, I'm pretty sure. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong Seth, but what they're trying to get rid of are the rage baiting threads where somebody posts about a controversial topic without taking a stance, just to pull a Michael Jackson and sit back eating popcorn while watching the comments.

I don't really believe this thread is one of those personally, so I'd appreciate the opportunity to keep it, but the mods aren't stupid. They know what they're doing, they're mods for a reason. Trust their judgement.

8 years ago
Wait, there's popcorn? I want in.

8 years ago

The threads get nuked under the guise of poor debate. I'm pretty sure they're just getting deleted because keeping a debate civil by deleting offending posts is tedious. 

8 years ago

Here here my good Capy!  XD

8 years ago

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2010/aug/06/lindsey-graham/illegal-immigrants-anchor-babies-birthright/

According to the 14th Amendement, yes, they are US citizens by birthright. 

If you'd wish to argue whether that should or should not be the case, though, that's a different argument entirely. There's a lot of fear of immigrants crossing the border to have children so that they can't be deported, but if you read that article that's not really a significant concern the way the laws are set up. An "anchor baby" has to be 21 years old to sponsor their parent(s) for citizenship, and if the parent(s) entered the country illegally, they have to return home for at least 10 years to reapply for citizenship, so it's not quite the drain on resources the right side typically makes it out to be.

8 years ago

Thanks this helps me.