Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 5/16/2016: No. If you want to earn points for writing a story, wait for a contest or try to get featured.

New Duel

8 years ago

I would like to suggest a new type of duel!

You should make a story game vs. story game duel!  Both duelers would post a story, and whoever had the highest rating after a set amount of time would win!  If the ratings were the same, whoever had the most ratings would win.  If that tied, the number of times it was played.  In the event of a complete tie, it would go into overtime.  If it was still tied even after that, the players would get all points betted back.  I would suggest 50-100 points would be betted.

Thanks for reading this, and I hope you will considar it.

New Duel

8 years ago
What would stop someone from just checking all the highest rated games and using the best one?  Unless you're talking about publishing a story for each duel...  Then it would be an even worse idea.

New Duel

8 years ago

I was talking about publishing a story for each duel.  What would be so bad about that?

New Duel

8 years ago
Logistics, timing, follow-through, genre issues, flooding of short and poorly done stories, etc.

New Duel

8 years ago
^ This.

@jster02  This site is already plagued with new stories that someone thought up on the spur of the moment, wrote, then published on the very same day they joined.  We're striving to keep the site as professional as is possible and this would cause it to spiral out of control.  It's not something that we really wish to encourage here.

New Duel

8 years ago
Indeed. In theory it's a nice concept, but logistically it would be just a nightmare to create -- and even if you did, would "duel stories" be separate and different from other stories?

New Duel

7 years ago

It could be interesting, there would be a special category on the site for duel stories. When you challenge someone you pick the time limit and maybe a story type. The wager limit could be higher than normal. The time limits could be the following: 1 day, 3 days, or 1 week. After the stories are done they would be available for review, the story with the best rating after one week would win.

Example:  Pelhelm challenged you to 30 point fantasy story game duel, you will have 24 hours to complete your story if you accept this challenge!

New Duel

7 years ago

The only problem is that it's almost impossible to write a good story within a week, let alone in a day. This would then probably lead to more unfinished or rushed games being published just for the off-chance of winning some points.

New Duel

7 years ago

The stories would need to be separated from the normal ones, probably also with a slightly different, more ambiguous rating system with stars or something. If neither of the stories got past a certain rating threshold it would be an automatic tie, and hidden/deleted. The time limits could be longer than a week, but anything longer than a month could be impractical. Someone else might be able to think of some improvements to what I've said, but I think story duels have the potential to become a great feature if they are implemented right.

New Duel

7 years ago

But then you would be creating a whole new site besides this one. Essentially, you're then advocating a completely new story system, with a completely new rating system, both separate from what we have now. Furthermore, the practical implications of implementing all this would, in practice, mean that it would never be done anyway, given Alexp's busy schedule.

New Duel

7 years ago

Well, this is just a place for suggestions anyways, if he feels like doing it he can, if he doesn't then he won't.

New Duel

7 years ago

First of all, you've failed to follow correct FWW submission format. Please see article in help & info for further details.

Agree with Bucky & IAP- this would only encourage people to flood the site with hastily-written duelstories.