Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Thoughts on Linking Ratings to Comments

7 years ago

What do you guys think about this feature? http://chooseyourstory.com/forums/feature-wishing-well/message/7837

I'm really on the fence and am curious about what the community thinks.

7 years ago

It's difficult to assign a numerical value to the opinions displayed in comments. Even then, a comment might reflect an entirely different thing than what the number is. The commenter might not want to portray their particular rating of the game because the game itself might have rubbed them the wrong way, and their comment is trying to portray a more neutral opinion to help the author improve. Particularly sensitive authors might feel like the comment is hollow if the rating is very low but the comment is otherwise very constructive. In general I'm not really fond of the idea. Ratings should be something that commenters choose to disclose as it pertains to their critique and opinion on the piece, when that's important. To just say it outright no matter the content of the comment may be disheartening or something. I dunno.

I think something like Alexp's suggestion would work well. Not really a "Leave Feedback Anonymously" button, as the very nature of Orders and the new Draw My Attention things are built to encourage people to be accountable for their comments, and would force people to publish ratings and comments at the same time if they wanted the points/sanctions, but a "Include Rating with Comment" checkbox would be handy.

7 years ago

I'm in agreement with Berka and urnam0 in that thread. The current system seems to be working fine.

7 years ago
I'm all for being required to leave a comment to get your point, but I don't like the rating being viewable. There are a lot of stories I'll rate a 2 or so because IMO they don't add anything to the site, but I feel like any feedback is better received without making it obvious how much I think they suck.

7 years ago

Great! We're all in agreement.

7 years ago

All I could imagine was the... Less mature.... Authors finding out who gave them a 2 and spamming them with angry PMS and posts for days

7 years ago
Or retaliatory low ratings on their stories...

7 years ago

Yeah...