Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Band Games?

6 years ago

I have an idea for a game where you, a college student, work to get a band together and make it big. Of course, it's a CYOA with many possible endings and such but I just wanted to see if people would be at all interested in such a game. Also, any ideas to add?

Band Games?

6 years ago

I think most people here are willing to entertain almost any premise, provided that the resulting game is quality. Half-baked games really suck. 

Band Games?

6 years ago

^

If it's interesting/well-written, people will like it.

If it's some uninteresting piece of trash with little to no effort put in it, no one will like it. x'D

Band Games?

6 years ago

Can you recommend me a half-baked game, just so I can know what to avoid? I don't think I've ever read one.

Band Games?

6 years ago

I mean, I'd probably read it, but if I'm completely honest, it sounds fairly boring.

Band Games?

6 years ago

Thanks for the honesty! I was just throwing it about as a premise, of course there would be other elements and conflicts, I just wanted to see how people react to a game "about" that in general.

Band Games?

6 years ago
I have to agree with Steve that it sounds a little dull, but that may be more to do with the way you've pitched it.

Right now it's like the equivalent of those stories that are like, 'the protagonist goes to a new school'...and it's just like, okay, then what?

There's nothing inherently interesting about a generic college student with a band and not much to build a story around just yet. You're going to need to find a way to make the protagonist and any friends/rivals around them memorable, some kind of a goal they actively work towards to drive the plot, a major conflict and obstacles to overcome that develop the characters further, etc.

Band Games?

6 years ago

Ah, of course there will be more than that, I'm just really bad at persuasion :P I wanted to see how people felt about the premise, in general mostly. Thank you for the honesty and ideas!

Band Games?

6 years ago
I think you could do a lot with a Band Game actually.

From getting together the various players, to choosing your style, to all the fun and debauchery that comes with fame. Or being attacked by disappointed crowds in dive bars when you stink.

For truly inspiring material though, I highly recommend you watch Jack Black's, Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny, before getting started haha!