Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Turpin Family

6 years ago

Jesus I just found out about this today. That's fucking crazy that the couple was able to keep 13 kids locked up like that for so long. Even worse with one of them being in their thirties. The toll on their mental health must be some next level sick shit in a scenario like this. Fuck I would have expected for at least one of the children to butcher those two fucks in the middle of night in rage. It just makes me sick in my stomach, more so because I've lived in Fort Worth for awhile.

I'm just glad one of those girls managed to make a run for it while they could, but that's pretty severe stockholm syndrome if one of their siblings decided to go back during the escape attempt.

Turpin Family

6 years ago

And then the fact that the cops thought at first that they were all minors because of their extreme undernourishment. And they could only shower once a year???

I find it hard to believe that the neighbors legit had no clue.

Turpin Family

6 years ago

I'll be honest, I still don't get it. Like, how did adults remain locked up constantly? Did they never get a chance to escape? There's pictures of the family at Disney land like a few years before hand, did it just rapidly go downhill, or were they treated like shit before that, and not one of the adults thought to do something.

Turpin Family

6 years ago

I think it's called learned helplessness. Or, who knows, maybe that's what the adults grew up with and they somehow thought it was normal. Or of course they were threatened, maybe like "If you try to get help I'll hurt you" or even worse, one of the younger ones instead.

Turpin Family

6 years ago
That, and it's really bizarre what a person can normalize if they grow up in a situation. There have been plenty of cases for instance of just one kid getting locked up or starved or otherwise horribly abused, and the siblings just never see anything strange about it.

I remember a case, can't remember the names but it was a black family with several kids, and one of them was found digging through the neighbor's trash one night looking for food. The man actually just started crying during the 911 call when the 'kid' told him he was 19, in the pictures I saw he was completely emaciated and his growth was so stunted he looked maybe 13 or 14.