Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Magium

4 years ago

Has anyone here ever read Magium? 

Magium

4 years ago

No, is it a storygame?

Magium

4 years ago
It's on Google play.

Magium

4 years ago
I've heard about it before, can't remember any details except that somebody liked it. I'll download it and probably never get around to playing I suppose.

Magium

4 years ago
"They say there is a very fine line between bravery and stupidity. As I stand here, in the middle of this forest, gazing at all the explosions far in the distance, I realize I may well have crossed that line, to a point of no return."

See, this is how you get people's attention with your opening lines. Explosions. Take notes everyone.

Magium

4 years ago

I do like explosions.

Magium

4 years ago

Michael Bay approves this post.

Magium

4 years ago

I read all of Book 1 a year or so ago, but I couldn’t get enough achievements to unlock the next book, and I didn’t want to pay for it so I just stopped there.

Magium

4 years ago

Read the whole of book 1, and almost finished book 2. Magium is, hands down one of the best CYOA’s I’ve read to date. The author has even released a paperback version on amazon if I remember correctly. The world building is just superb and so is the way you get character points. Everything is intricately planned from the start.

I’ll probably post a review on it in the future in the reading corner.

Magium

4 years ago

I'm happy I'm not the only one who liked it plus I thought since it's a well written story book that you don't need to pay for to read it would be good to bring up as a recommendation for newer writers to read so that their writing doesn't completely suck... (No offense new witters but we all know this is the truth.)

Magium

4 years ago
I need to try reading a little more of it, I was like 'oh this seems pretty entertaining' sure but it's a long way from being ZOMG BEST STORY I EVER READ.

Magium

4 years ago

I agree it's not the best but it still pretty good compared to most.

Magium

4 years ago

I‘ve finished book 1 and 2. The first time you read through it it seems like it’s very in depth, but once you go back to get the achievements (especially the average Joe ones) you see that it’s a lot more linear than initial thought. It’s good, but it’s no Eternal.

Magium

4 years ago

Yeah, a well written game as far I'd remember. Had a fine balance between action, character development, and a juicy story which I'm guessing will end up similar to that of God of War. I'm not going to tell what aspect of it though to avoid spoiling but hey, I won't have any idea what to expect since I'm sure book 3 is almost finished by now and I still hadn't read it since I'm too slo...deliberate as hell ;D

Magium

4 years ago

I had read Book 1 and 2 and now I'm going through Book 3 because this thread reminded me of its existence.

It's a good CYOA with some good characters and a fun adventure, and I appreciate that it keeps few stats and that they have low values, making them simple to manage. I also like the lore the author built around his story.

It obviously has some limitations due to practical reasons; Austin already mentioned its linearity (I only played one path but it's pretty clear that the story has to converge at some points), and another weak link is in my opinion how OP the protagonist and how tame some of the villains seem to become, making those who seemed difficult antagonists look like not much of a threat all of a sudden. Of course this has to happen in order to make the good guys win and keep most of them alive; I just hope that these kind of character developments are written well though.

One thing I noticed in the third book is that the author's slipped up a few times with verb tenses, using the past tense in situations that required the present tense as usual. I'm still at chapter 2 though, so I won't pass judgement until I've finished this book. I will say that I enjoyed Book 2 the most so far though.