Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Ello! Few questions

2 years ago
Ello, I’m new here (obviously). And I just wanted to know some things.

First off: should I dabble with variable and scripts or leave them when I get used to the site? Second, how can I preview my storygames? I left sneak preview on and preview doesn’t do anything. I want to see how it looks from a viewers standpoint. Lastly, anything else you’d think I should know?

Btw, cool site ya’ll got here. Hope to be apart of it :)

Ello! Few questions

2 years ago

Welcome!

Variables and scripts can be useful depending on the type of storygame you want to create, but they are not essential. The main priority should always be ensuring that your storygame is well written. If you like to plot your stories, plan it out and see if these things are necessary and work from there. 

As for previewing your storygames, click 'My Stuff' and go to 'Storygames'. Then just click the title of the storygame you want to preview and it should look like any other published game (aside from the details you are yet to have filled out). You don't have to turn on sneak preview since that just determines whether other members can see your unpublished story.

Hope that helps :)

Ello! Few questions

2 years ago
Thanks for the info, I’ll keep it in mind. :)

I’ve went to my stuff and clicked it but it only sends me to the storygames categories. I hope I didn’t break something already.

Ello! Few questions

2 years ago

Strangely enough, although two of your unpublished storygames are on sneak preview, I can only seem to access the 'Testee' one (by going to your profile and selecting the game with the site extension). 'A Dragon's Life' seems to lead to the main storygames page instead. If you did click 'storygames' under 'my stuff' (as opposed to just clicking storygames), you should be able to see a page like this: link

There's also the possibility that it's a glitch or site issue. In that case, if no one else responds here, you could add this problem to this forum.

Ello! Few questions

2 years ago
Welcome to the site. I hope you enjoy your time here. For scripts and variables, only use them when you've figured out you need them. Until you need them, forcing them into a story will make the story bad. When you're trying to do something with the story that requires them, then you can explore how to use them. As for the preview, you could click on your name and that will take you to your profile and your games are listed there. Clicking on a story name will let you preview it. Or you can go to My Stuff - Storygames and see a list of your games there. Clicking on a story name will let you preview it.