Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

Tags

13 years ago
So I've added some new tags:
- Based off a true story
- Demo
- Geared for Children
- Historical
- Part of Series*
- Quiz
- Zombie

*For Part of Series, it's only applicable to stories CURRENTLY part of a series, not stories which are planned to be part of a series. So when publishing the first of a series, don't add that tag, when the second one comes out, PM me and I'll add the tag to the first one.

Also, I'm wondering what you guys think about the 'life' tag? It seems useless/vague to me, should I remove it?

Finally, I'm currently in the process of tagging every published story. It's going to take awhile. I'm about 100 stories in.

Tags

13 years ago
I'm just wondering what the Life tag would stand for. Anti-abortion story? Eco-friendly perhaps? Utopia?

Anyway, there doesn't seem to be a need for it. I'd say scrap it.

Tags

13 years ago
I tagged a few of your stories with it, in case it means like centered around the daily live of an individual. I guess, I take it to mean a story that starts with someone waking up in the morning and then proceeds with their life, perhaps in a strange way (Repression).

My vote is for scrapping it but we'll see.

Tags

13 years ago
Hmmm.. yea there are a few stories like that. Its the only thing I could really think of that it would mean. Maybe exchange it for one that makes more sense for those kind of stories.

Tags

13 years ago
But really, how often is someone going to be looking for something as specific as a story beginning with you wake up in the morning. If we have a tag for that sort of start then don't we need one for all of the stories that start with: "You're in a dark cave." Don't you think it's a dangerous can of worms?

Tags

13 years ago
Well, its not really just that, I think. Its not just where they start out, they also tend to end up doing the same thing. If you're just going through someone's regular day, which is what a lot of the ones that start out like that are, then maybe it merits being grouped together so that people know that its the kind of story it is.

Tags

13 years ago
Always wondered if I should've put Repression into the school-based category since a majority of it is actually school related. It's sort of grim though hence why I just put it in modern adventure. It would be like putting Love SICK in the Romance category.

Tags

13 years ago

I think we should scrap the Life catagory. It's potentially useles, unless you really make a story that could use life in it, such as "A day in my shoes." Or something like that. But people usually make fiction.

There are so many Zombie storis (and many more are being made) I think a whole nother catagory could be in order. Of course, we don't have to. It's just most people love to play zombie games, but don't know where to look. (I'm not a fan of zombie stories, but I've worked on one with another member on the site)

That's just my opinion, but if making another catagory isn't possible, it's perfectly fine. Another thing, though: Why is one of the tags Phoebe? I saw it when I was looking at the tags, but I don't know if it got trashed or not.

Tags

13 years ago

"A Day in my Shoes" should be tagged with "Horrendous Odor."

Tags

13 years ago
LOL. Tempting though. No Repressing fits in Modern. Zikara, if we're tagging something simply to use it as a negative-notifier (warning), why don't we just unpublish those stories? As it is, stories like Repression may deserve that tag but they definitely don't deserve to be unpublished.

But it really is the only tag that refers to a plot formula. It's strange. I'm still leaning towards removing it.

Tags

13 years ago

Well, it's your call jjj. After all, you have the admin powers!

Tags

13 years ago
Other than the ones you listed are these all the rest of the tags?

- Humor
- Serious
- War

- Puzzle
- CYOA Movie
- RPG

Any others?

Would the puzzle tag still be necessary since there is a Puzzle category?

Tags

13 years ago
Based Off A True Story 19 [Delete]
CYOA Movie 6 [Delete]
Demo 16 [Delete]
Geared for Children 1 [Delete]
Historical 5 [Delete]
Humor 80 [Delete]
Life 80 [Delete]
Motion Picture 5 [Delete]
Part of Series 7 [Delete]
Puzzle 36 [Delete]
Quiz 0 [Delete]
RPG 57 [Delete]
Serious 116 [Delete]
War 45 [Delete]
Zombie 0 [Delete]

I haven't tagged Zombies or quizzes yet. Puzzle is useful because of stories like Cryptode in Modern Adventure.

Tags

13 years ago
Not sure what motion picture is.

Tags

13 years ago
hehehe... I never really said it was a negative thing. I don't know, personally I don't usually like those kinds of games, but yea... Frankly, I don't care if it stays or leaves, and you're right it doesn't really fit in with the way the other tags describe games so maybe it should go.

And motion picture seems to be one that's based off a motion picture. I found 'Final Destination: Cheating Death' and it had motion picture as a tag, as it was based off of the Final Destination movies.

Tags

13 years ago
Ah! So a form of fan fiction. I'm going to change that to Based Off a Motion Picture.

Tags

13 years ago
Removed it! Thanks for the input guys.

Tags

13 years ago
anythin 2 help the site! ;)

Tags

13 years ago
I removed the 'based on a film' tag altogether because it's just a form of Fan Fiction. If we include that then we need based on a book, based on a comic, based on a, etc. etc etc.

Also, I added the 'socially important' tag. There aren't too many of them yet (A very Special CYOA comes to mind, by Endmaster) but hopefully there will be more in the future.

Tags

13 years ago

Yes, 'socially important' could come in handy. Good thinking JJJ!

Tags

13 years ago
Thank you. 176 stories in now, the first four categories.

Tags

13 years ago
I've got a bunch of stories with the Serious tag. Not sure if all of them really apply though.

Necromancer & Death Song- You can definitely add War to both of these considering the theme of both of them. If you really wanted to you could even add Part of a Series since the two stories are related.

Paradise Violated & Ground Zero- War tag should probably be added.

Imagination- Geared for Children should probably be a tag since it is meant to be one.

TRASH & Repression- The tags you already have seem about right.

Geek & Alpha Wolf- I don't think these really fall under any of the tags you currently have.

A Very Special Choose Your Story & Tales From The Basement & Love SICK- I know the first two are listed as Serious, but there's probably more dark Humor in them more than anything. Well that was the spirit in which I wrote them anyway.

Maybe you need a "Controversial" tag to shove on those three. Lol.

Tags

13 years ago
Haven't gotten to all of them yet, first of all. Definitely will do all of those now though. What are some tags suitable for Geek and Alpha Wolf? Humor seems pretty reasonable for Geek.

Tags

13 years ago
controversial might work but how does shocking sound?

Tags

13 years ago
Shocking or controversial is fine.

I think the closest tags you have that could apply to Geek or Alpha Wolf are humor. There's enough funny stuff in them based on the dialogue.

Is there a "drama" tag for stories?

Tags

13 years ago
How many stories do you think fit under that? Enough to warrant one?

Tags

13 years ago
Damn, hit the reply button too quick.

Anyway, not that Geek or Alpha would fit neatly under drama either, but I was just wondering for other people's stories.

Tags

13 years ago
Aside from your two stories mentioned, have you read any other controversial work here?

Tags

13 years ago
Well now that I'm thinking about it, I suppose the "Serious" tag you have already sort of covers "drama" so you probably don't need it.

The only other ones that might be considered controversial is Mommy or Order of the Midnight Sun. And OMS only qualifies due to the protagonist being young and having sex with his girlfriend. But really that's hardly controversial and the setting isn't the modern era anyway. Mommy comes closer, but really I can't find a single thing that's anymore shocking that what's in the 3 stories I mentioned.

AVSCYS and Tales pretty much have a "South Park/Family Guy" approach with humor so while it's probably common, the shock value still exists. TRASH might also qualify, but less so.

Love SICK definitely falls under the Shock/Controversial tag. if you make one.

Tags

13 years ago
See below, I think we agree though.

Tags

13 years ago
Alright, so I added a "Geared for Extremists" tag. Shocking could refer to a surprise twist in the plot, controversial could refer to political satire or the like but geared for extremists is pretty clear. Two things.

1. Do you really think Alpha Wolf is that extreme? I definitely agree that Geek and Love Sick could deserve it but I'm not sure about Alpha Wolf.

2. Is it worth adding a drama tag, do you think?

Tags

13 years ago
and Trash gets the GFE tag too, I think. First page has the 'have sex with her' link lol. Awesome.

Tags

13 years ago
Lol. No, Geek and Alpha Wolf aren't extreme. They're more humor based.

AVSCYS, Tales, TRASH and Love SICK would fit your extreme tag.

And like I mentioned in my above post, you probably don't need a drama tag due to serious sort of fitting the bill.

Tags

13 years ago
I thought Geek was kind of extreme. AVSCYS didn't feel that 'extreme' to me. There are some pretty nutty parts, but I don't think it really warrants the extreme tag. I guess it could go either way. I'll tag it.

Tags

13 years ago
Well I'm going by some of the comments too. Some people get offended by AVSCYS and Tales from the Basement, so I figured they should be tagged. (Oddly I think I've gotten more complaints from those two rather than Love SICK)

Geek, might have a few moments I suppose, but eh I saw it more as regular horror. I suppose if you feel it should have the tag, keep it tagged, but never got any major complaints on that one.

Tags

13 years ago
I think it actually disturbed me the most out of all of your stories. Something about the utter degradation of the protagonist got me good haha. I mean come on, first page he's woken up by a bucket of piss and some belittlement hahaha.

Tags

13 years ago
Lol. Yeah, okay I see what you mean. The clowns probably freaked some people out too.

I think all the tag stuff was implemented just after I posted my last story on here, either that or I wasn't paying attention. Well in any case any future stories I might post on here (whenever that is) I'll be sure to have the appropriate tags so you won't have to go through this all over again.

Tags

13 years ago
Oh, no worries. Hopefully we'll have open tagging at some point so anyone can tag any story and the admins will just make sure they're alright.

Tags

13 years ago

That would be awesome! Hopefully people won't get carried away...

Tags

13 years ago
Okay, I've been through every story now. That took forever. Here's the final tag count:

Tag Tag Count
Based Off A True Story 21
CYOA Movie 8
Demo 20
Geared for Children 4
Geared for Extremists 5
Historical 14
Humor 212
Part of Series 93
Puzzle 75
Quiz 58
RPG 59
Serious 217
Socially Important 10
War 57
Zombie 18

Let me know if I missed a tag somewhere or if I mistagged a story. Also, I don't think there are 8 CYOA movies (3 locked out, 1 by fleshy and 1 by march are all that come to mind) so if you find a non-cyoa-movie tagged as one, let me know.

Thanks,
3J

Tags

13 years ago

wow, what dedication! No wonder you're the admin!