Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Story preview for "Thaedos: Prehistory"

13 years ago

This is a fairly ambitious project of mine, seeing as it starts off what will eventually be a massive collection of stories designed to build up my world (named Thaedos). I've been nervous about setting any of it down on paper (digital or otherwise) for a long time because I feared doing so would create something... imperfect... which I would then be stuck with forever, unable to change in the future because it had already been exposed to the eyes of the "masses". Yes, I count even just a few people as "masses", but that aside...

I decided I should just go for it, and this is the best way to do it. Unlike other parts of my Thaedos world, the Prehistory saga is relatively new in my mind and doesn't hold as grave a consequence should I mess it up. I'll stop the background rant there though.

Basically, Thaedos: Prehistory takes place a while after the dawn of mankind. It's important to note that this does not take place on Earth, but Thaedos, a fictional world of my creation. Seeing as they have yet to discover much beyond basic survival, no one knows how humans came to exist, and few tribes bother to think of it beyond their direct ancestors. The setting is similar to prehistoric times in our world, but with some differences that would make hardcore scientists turn red with rage. Dinosaurs, monsters, mythical beasts and magic all exist in this world, and evolution works very differently.

One more very important note is, for this story, I'm doing something a little unique. As it takes place in prehistoric times, sophisticated communication (both written and oral), doesn't exist yet. At best, humans communicate with crude hand gestures, body language and a combination of sounds that may mean totally different things among different tribes, and even different families within those tribes. As you play through the game, learning to communicate (and understand the communication of others) will be one of many vital lessons necessary to your survival.

With all that said, this is also something I hope to enter into the Fantasy Contest, although it may become too lengthy for me to completein time. If that becomes the case, I'll work on a different story for that. At any rate, here's the preview. Please let me know what you think with constructive criticism. I'm a big fan of EndMaster and will be trying to learn from his style, though you may not detect it in this initial post. Okay, I'm stalling, here it is:

Prologue

Morning. An annoying red glow that somehow gets past your eyelids, compelling you to wake. You don't want to though. Sleep is so much better than being awake. The stress of the waking world is too much trouble. You grunt with annoyance and  turn away from the sun, trying to return to the dream you were having...

"sa... ee... tu..."

A familiar voice. You can't quite understand it, but you don't really want to. Whatever it is, it's trying to wake you up, and you don't like it. You try to block it out, but it keeps getting louder...

"Sa-ee-thu..!"

You grunt and try to cover your ears, but this seems to just make things worse.

"SCYTHE!!!" it screams in your ear.

With a yelp, you jolt awake, rolling away from the source- and into a solid rock wall. Face-first. Ouch. Unfortunately, the pain doesn't stop there. As soon as you sit up and try to look around, you get a painful pinch on the ear. Wincing, you whimper to show submission and understanding. The pain finally recedes, and you're given a chance to get your bearings.

As the sleep clears form your eyes, you see your mom standing over you with a disapproving look. She shakes her head with a sigh and points outside with emphasis. You follow her finger with your eyes, noting the exit to your home. A small cave; enough for you, your mom and your dad to fit in comfortably. You guess it's good, as you don't know of anything better. There's one thing in particular you like about the place though. The wall you sleep by. It's covered  with colorful stains and deep carvings that you love you stare at for hours on end. Sometimes you see your dad adding to them, crushing those berries that no one eats and smearing them on the wall. You love that. You wish he'd teach you to do it

Your daydream is cut short, however.

"Scythe." Mom growls, getting your attention again. You're pretty sure "Scythe" is your name. The only reason you have any doubt is because many people seem to use that word when they're angry. With you, specifically. You wish more people would use it when they're not angry.

"Og-u Da-du!" she shouts, jabbing at the exit with her finger to drive the point home. You're still not sure what "Og-u" means, but typically when she points like that and shouts, she wants you to move in that direction. But then, there's this "Da-du", which can only mean one thing. Your dad.

Oh the joys of primitive communication. How will you interpret this?

1. She wants me to go outside and find dad. Probably.
2. She's just telling me dad went outside. I don't need to do anything. Back to staring at the wall!
3. She wants me to go outside and become a dad! Though, I'm not sure how to do that...
4. Where and when the hell am I? (Some background on this story's world)

13 years ago

A quick note. The story starts off with you as a child, naturally, to learn from your parents. However, it does progress far beyond that to adulthood and finding a mate of your own. It won't stay silly and childish, although I will try to keep humor in there throughout his development.

13 years ago
Sounds cool so far. Reminds me of my other project currently on hold, Primal. Fantasy based, but set in a primitive society.

Its a huge undertaking doing a story attempting to go through several years of life of the protagonist. The main thing is stay focused, I'd say that for any story, but for the "cradle to the gave" type stories its even more so.

They can get very expansive very quickly, sometimes to the point where you've got so many different story-lines going on that you have to go back and reread stuff just to remind yourself where you were, so nothing you write contradicts anything. This can be even more of a problem if you take a "small break" from writing the story.

One good way of approaching it is to write out one storyline branch from beginning to end (all the "continuing choices"), then start on a new one and do the same thing. The paths you know that are going to lead to a premature ending can be filled in later.

Just keep notes of all the important characters, time lines and events and you'll be fine.

13 years ago

It sounds awesome!

One good way of approaching it is to write out one storyline branch from beginning to end (all the "continuing choices"), then start on a new one and do the same thing. The paths you know that are going to lead to a premature ending can be filled in later.

I agree with Endmaster. It's exactly what I'd do. Start with what you'd do and go from there. It also helps if there's chapters. Finish the one chapter, then the next, the next, etc. So you can go from childhood to teenage to adulthood and it won't get all jumbled.

13 years ago

Thanks! I'm surprised and pleased I got positive feedback and good advice so quickly.

As for finishing the chapters first, could you clarify what you mean? For example, say there's a hero.

Prologue, Page 1

Hero must choose his path in life.

1. Swordsman

2. Thief

3. Mage

Those three choices split into three main storyline branches, so naturally I'll want to focus on and finish one before touching the others, right? So, next...

Chapter 1, Page 1 (Swordsman Path)

Hero is confronted with a situation. A woman is being harassed by a gang of thugs, four of them. He's outnumbered and unsure of their level of skill, and they are armed. He must choose what to do from here.

1. Help the woman

2. Run to get help

3. Leave the woman to her fate

The first path will lead to the best ending for this storyline, but it's not the only one. Based off EndMaster's advice, I assume I should only complete the pages that result from option 1 and continue towards the best ending, right? Well according to your advice, once I reach the end of this chapter:

Chapter 2, Page 1 (Swordsman Path, Helped the woman)

Hero saved the woman from the thugs, killing three of them, but one escaped. That one swore revenge. The woman was enternally grateful and eventually married hero, but they couldn't find peace. The thug was a member of a rather large bandit gang and they've all been after him ever since that day. Hero must make a choice.

1. Travel to a distant land with the woman, across the ocean, so that the thugs can't follow.

2. Leave the woman somewhere safe, seek out the gang, and slaughter them all.

3. Send the woman off to a distant land and deal with the thugs as they come.

Should I go back to Chapter 1 and fill out the paths resulting from option 2 and 3? Or should I continue to fill in only the pages leading to the best ending, then go back and follow the other ending paths?

13 years ago
You could do it either way, whatever works best for you. I basically try to finish one major branch from beginning to end regardless of how many chapters it has, it just keeps me more focused that way.

I do tend to go back and fill in all the smaller paths within a single chapter before moving on to the next though.

13 years ago

Thanks for the great advice! I'll be sure to keep it in mind as I work. The major obstacle I see is keeping track of what paths need to be "filled in" later. Maybe a giant map with boxes representing pages, and circles representing choices, with lines leading to and from the circles... then I can see the ones that need to be filled are circles that just have a line leading to nowhere.

13 years ago
Cool idea. You'll have to work really really hard to properly toe the line between annoying and awesome when it comes to interpreting communication. Also, I know it's really tempting to 'show off your world' when you've done so much creating but you should work really hard to only use elements useful to the story and to description. Tolkien wrote the silmarillion and all of his history as a side project for a reason!

13 years ago

Thanks 3J. Yeah, I've run into that problem before, but I think I'll be okay. Once thing I intend to do like EndMaster is make completely optional choices that led you get more background information before returning to the game. It's not required to play the game, but it gives more information and content for the world for those who want it. I'll also use the same tactic of pictures and captions of the main character's thoughts at the time to add a bit more to it.

History class was always boring for me. I don't want to recite history. I want to tell a story and let history be learned from that. I've always thought that if the teachers would just read history in the form of a story (revolving around characters instead of events), it would be so much more enjoyable, and I'd actually remember it!

13 years ago

Here's what I mean by it:

make those paths into seperate chapters. Do endmaster's advice and in 1 chapter go to the end of the chapter (or the end of the game if that's the only chapter) then go back to the beginning of the chapter and do the same thing. Keep doing it until you finish all the endings. Then go back and finish the smaller endings. It saves time, overworkage, and sanity.

13 years ago

I think I get it now. Thanks, I'll try that.

13 years ago

Alright, I've been thinking about it and.. I think I'm going to cut out the whole "figure out the meaning of the sounds" feature. I -will- still make the player choose how to interpret the messages they're given, but I'm not going to make up random caveman sounds. Instead, I'll just use crude sentence structure. I don't want the "caveman language" to take up so much of the game that it detracts from the enjoyment or the story, and while it worked okay for the first page, I can see how it will get really restricting as I go on. Hopefully I can still keep the feel I was going for.