Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Good Horror Movies

11 years ago

I have always been a huge horror movie fan. However, as I'm sure most of you know, the genre is oversaturated with some of the worst movies of all time, making it extremely difficult to find the few that are actually worthwhile. Part of this is due to the fact that filmmakers seem to be embracing the notion that horror isn't meant to be anything more than  a group of stupid teenagers who are nothing more than cattle to be slaughtered in gruesome, over the top, and often stupid ways. I find this extremely disappointing because when done right, horror movies can actually be genuinely SCARY (which I'm pretty sure is supposed to be the point) as long as the characters are believable and likeable. Those movies are few and far between.

THAT'S WHERE YOU COME IN.

I would greatly appreciate if you guys would share some of your favorites of the genre. Any good horror movies that take themselves seriously (in the case of horror comedies, I believe they work best when the characters involved at least still take whatever ridiculous situation they find themselves in seriously rather than cracking jokes while in grave danger), and are either scary or at the very least suspenseful without resorting to using the "jump scare" 38 times a scene. Most importantly, I want to actually care about the characters and what they're going through.

Thanks in advance. DV13 out

Good Horror Movies

11 years ago
Actually, I'm also a big fan of horror movies but I enjoy each genre movies, so no favorite genre at all.
In horror genre, my favorite movies are:
The Shining.
Paranormal Activity.
The Exorcist.
The Poltergeist and
Amtyville Horror.

Good Horror Movies

11 years ago

My top five:

1. Rec
2. Quarantine (American copy of Rec)
3. Paranormal Activity 2 (Not really a fan of the rest)
4. The Blair Witch Project
5: Devil within

Good Horror Movies

11 years ago

The original "Evil Dead" got 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, and the new remake of it looks promising.

Good Horror Movies

11 years ago

Wow, I can't believe I forgot to mention Silent Hill since that movie almost made me buy some adult diapers. Silent Hill would probably replace #2.

Good Horror Movies

11 years ago

Movies:

• Audition
  • Marebito
  • Mothman Prophecies
  • People Under the Stairs

TV Shows:

• American Horror Story Seasons 1 & 2

Video Games:

• FEAR 1 & 2
  • Fatal Frame series
  • Silent Hill series

Audition and Marebito are both Asian horror movies and they will leave a seriously creepy vibe for days after you watch them. Both are psychological horror as opposed to the visual oriented American horrors. Both can be found with subtitles and 100% worth the effort to find and watch. 

Mothman Prophecies is based off of a book which allegedly is based off true events in the late 60's. If you like conspiracy theory type horror then it's worth a watch.

The People Under the Stairs is a mix of psychological and visual and will thoroughly deter any up and coming buglers from continuing said profession XD.

The American Horror Story show is on FX and I felt that it was well put together. The first season kept me on edge with the mystery and general creepiness. Plus it actually surprised with some of the plot twists. Season two is still ongoing and so far it has been interesting, but I can't say much since it's only 3 episodes into the season.

The FEAR games are very scary because they immerse you in the experience in a way a movie cannot. You will first hate the protagonist, Alma, and then you pity her. In the 2nd game many people actually care about her(myself included). It's a very original story with interesting twists, plots, and other such things. Plus they are under $10 each now since they are older games. :)

Fatal Frame is unique in a lot of ways. You encounter ghosts and a haunted house, but the story is much deeper than that in a subtle way that will keep your skin covered in goose bumps.

Silent Hill is pretty self explanatory, so I feel safe in assuming it needs no introduction. :)

I know you asked for movies, but the FEAR and Fatal Frame series really are worth looking into. :)

Good Horror Movies

11 years ago

ZOMBIE LAND

Good Horror Movies

11 years ago

You count that as a horror movie? I always saw it as a comedy.

Good Horror Movies

11 years ago

half and half... well maybe 9/10 1/10

Good Horror Movies

11 years ago

Many of my favorites:

The Shining, Psycho, The Thing, The Exorcist, The Thing, Night Of The Living Dead, An American Werewolf In London, Videodrome, Nightmare On Elm Street, Carnival of Souls, Vampire Hunter D, Poltergeist, Ringu, Eraserhead, Jacob's Ladder, Altered States, Dracula (w/ Lugosi, Bram Stoker's Dracula, and most Hammer Horror Dracula films). Hellraiser, Village of the Damned, Nosferatu, Suspiria, The Birds, Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?, Eyes Without A Face, Prince of Darkness

My Ten:

10. Psycho

9. Night of the Living Dead

8. Eraserhead

7. Dracula (Lugosi)

6. The Exorcist

5. Prince of Darkness

4. Nightmare On Elm Street

3. Suspiria

2. An American Werewolf In London

1. Jacob's Ladder

Good Horror Movies

11 years ago

I have a really scary, old Spanish horror movie on VHS called "The Devil's Backbone"  very good foreign horror  movie.