Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was accepted 7/24/2005: .
This feature was completed 7/24/2005: Complete most of these. Battle System may come later.

The Advance Princiables Of Varibles.

18 years ago

Yes.  A long title for a post that will cover some things that can make it easier for a game to be played.

HP system - when it goes to 0 you go to a page that says you died.  Limit one so the game won't crash if someone made two and both died at the same time.

Variable Caps. - Lowest possible to Highest possible.  Goes with HP system. 

Multiplacation Effects - Instead of the basic adding and subtracting you can multiply and divide.

Percentage Effects - Like multiplacion effects except you can put in -10% or +23%.  No multiplacation or division is aloud for this.  If you have this you probably won't need the multiplacation or division effects.  This sets it up as itself. 

Battle System - Check out Kaddar's Thread - Nice Site, Suggestions.

Alex, tell me what you think of these.  The percentage one is an origanal.  You can find the other 4 in basic RPG and battle games.

18 years ago
I think this would help alot.  Although I think Kaddar's suggestions are better.

18 years ago

These center around Varibles and right now they can be updated with kaddar's post.  Adding -100% to 200% is anywhere between *0 to *2. 

With Ranges for varibles you could make it like adding -100%,0%, or 200%.  Implementing that would allow me to make a small game called Double or Nothing. 

18 years ago
This is centered arond game shows alot, mmmmmmmmmm game shows!

18 years ago

Good ideas for sure. First, consider that there haven't been any games that have taken advantage of the new variables just yet. I'm reluctant to invest more time in new "new" features when the new features aren't quite utilized. I'd be encouraged if someone were to make a big game, Lodi's Quest or Wal*Mart style.  I know march said something was in the works with him ...

The "HP System" you describe is already slated for development - March suggested it a while ago. You can attach an event to a variable; if that variable goes within a particular range, you will automatically be taken to a page. Yo uwoud set you HP Var to go to YOU DIED if it goes < 0.

Note that one can achieve percentage effects with multiplication. -10% would be multiplied by 0.90. +23% would be multiplied by 1.23. But, this is not on the "list" for now.

As far as a battle system, it's hard to say what we'll do. That was discussed a *long* time ago when we talked about when making the site initially. What I'd like to see long before a battle system is some random variable changes.

18 years ago
Agreement.  But what about Vengeance. Its awesome too!

18 years ago
That is why the multiplication went with the %.  Multiplying and dividing decimals would be a feature I would not recommend.  It would take to long to install it, nobody would use it, and it involves math I learned in 7th grade and forgot right now.  They were right that you lose 25% of the info you learn in school if you don't use it.  Oh well.  I use most of it.

18 years ago
They are right, I studied french for 7 years and can't remember more then simple sentances a year later.

18 years ago

Good point, integers are easiest.

I can see implementing the randomness, multiplication, and "division" all at once. As for randomness, I'm leaning towards dice-style changes -- 1d6, 3d20, etc. Do those make sense to you?

18 years ago
I love dice, the escence of RPG, I think that would be perfect.

18 years ago
You can put muliplication and division together by percentages. 

18 years ago
True.  (Agreement)

18 years ago

What I'm thinking is ..........

VARIABLE NAME             CHANGE TYPE              CHANGE VALUE
 SCORE                                  [Add]                                      124
  HITPOINTS                         [Subtract]                            242424
 BLAHBLAH                          [Multiply]                                  3
 BLXHBLAH                          [Divide]                                     4
 XXASDF                               [Percentage]                             22
 ASDFF                                   [Reset]                                    0
 GOOOOV                             [Random]                              5d9

The CHANGE TYPE would be a drop down list. The idea with putting in subtract is b/c it avoids the question "how do I subtract from a variable".  Ditto for the mult/div/percentage. Random would be dice.

18 years ago
Quit showing me, its making me anxious.  Just work on it, lol.  (That was a joke, no taking it seriously)

18 years ago

Trust me, I'd love to program it too ;-). Unfortuantely I've been busy with a client's project ...  free hobby programming can't really compete with programming that gets me cash ....

18 years ago
Oh, your a proffesional like my dad, I get it now....

18 years ago

Yep. My day job involves programming mortgage software. What is really annoying is they block this site on the firewall, so I'm stuck checking it only at home.

18 years ago
Ouch....

18 years ago
You should sponser a website.  That will get you a small profit.  With a profit you can get better things for your house.  A new computer for instance.  People won't mind an add as long as it dosen't have any flash on it.  Those shoot a duck and flashing instant winners are terrible adds.

18 years ago
Agreement.

18 years ago

My other website (TheDailyWTF.com) gets about 100x as much traffic as this site.

I have two ads on that site, a fixed ad and a google ad, which probably will bring in around $2,000 this year. This covers the hosting cost for the webserver (which this site piggy backs on).

The ads that i have on that site bring in more money than the ads that would run on this site (i get ads for programing tools that cost $5,000).  But lets be generous and say I'd get 1/50th the revenue. That's like $40. And not even worth my time to create an ad acount, put the HTML on the page, etc.

So now you see why I'm totally uninterested in ads. If you're feeling generous, just take a trip to my other site and do a click or two on the ads. But don't say I told you to do that ;-)

18 years ago
I get it now...