Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

I made a stupid game about why nostalgia is bad

10 years ago

Hi! I had to do a project for college and my professor said I should experiment with how a medium worked so I decided to explore the illusion of choice in interactive narratives through CYOA. My overall experience writing it, I feel, was similar to the reasons behind why it's so hard to do games like Mass Effect. Allowing for player choice takes time and gets frustrating, but it's really fun to imprint on your character even if you're on a linear path. Anyway, the game is here and I'd love to hear your feedback regarding how awful/not awful it is.

I don't think there's ever a point where you are forced to restart the game. I don't like having to do that, because it disrupts the narrative and the possibility of picking one decision that invalidates all of your other choices isn't satisfying for me as a player. Hopefully the game is funny.

10 years ago

Not bad at all and as you say, it really is very linear, but entertaining none-the-less with all the different 'choices'  :)

10 years ago

Now that it's sort-of finished, I think it'd work better as a point-n-click adventure game.

10 years ago

The 90s… what an awful decade.

I laughed when I got this though:

"You hit him and you keep hitting him and it gets redder and redder. He's not moving but that's OK because you're giving him what he deserves. His whole life he has been doing this to you even if he doesn't know it and now you're just giving it back. You didn't need to go to college, to get a job, or any of the bullshit that he constantly holds over your head. Now you're the big boy and he's the idiot."

*** YOU MURDERED YOUR BROTHER WITH A BLUNT OBJECT ***

That alone was enough to make me read through the rest of it.

10 years ago

Listen to the full song that my buddy who made the music made while reading any of the endings. You get a cool montage of whatever awful thing you did in your head. It's really funny.