Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Problems with the new RTE

4 years ago

A few people in the Discord (TurnipBandit, DarkSpawn) have brought up that they can't post, as nothing appears in the posting box no matter whether they have "use RTE" turned on or off. I myself can't use the new RTE without turning off "use RTE" in my profile. Not sure what's up.

4 years ago

Is this mobile or desktop? Have they tried a hard refresh (ctrl+shift+r on windows)? Didn't you post in the update thread using the RTE?

4 years ago

As far as I know, on desktop. I'll see if they'll do a hard refresh. Yes, I posted in the update thread, but I had to turn the "use RTE" option off to actually access it, which is strange.

EDIT: DarkSpawn says he's already done a hard refresh/cleared his cache, didn't change anything.

4 years ago

That's very strange. My RTE seems to behave as expected from that option. If you enable it now, is it still not working?

4 years ago

Works for DarkSpawn now apparently.

@DarkSpawn pls confirm

EDIT: Works for Turnip too now.

4 years ago

Caching.

4 years ago

It works now for me.

4 years ago
Ok, I'll try to be as clear as possible. Initially, I wasn't able to post in the forums either with the RTE on or off. I was able, however, to edit my stories with the simple html editor. Even after hard resest and logging off and back on this continued to be the case. Then randomly I was able to post both with the RTE on and off. However, either way I only get a white box, none of the RTE buttons.

4 years ago

Browser? Extension? Have you closed and reopened all windows of your browser? Have you tried other browsers?

4 years ago
Chrome no extension

4 years ago

What procedure did you follow to hard refresh?

4 years ago
I tried both ctrl+f5 and ctrl+shift+r

4 years ago

In your profile, is the RTE currently turned on?

4 years ago
Yes. Also, tried with Edge and same results.

4 years ago

Is the white box that you see basically the one you get with the RTE off?

4 years ago
Yes.

4 years ago

Can you turn off the RTE and hit the update button and then turn it on and hit the update button?

The fact that this only seems to be affecting you really makes me think it's a caching problem on your set up. Can you think of anything else that's unique? Old version of browsers? Out of date operating system? Anything?

4 years ago
Done, still nothing. I'm running the latest version of Chrome and Windows 10.

4 years ago

Okay. Can you open your developer console (ctrl+shift+i on chrome) and navigate to a page where a RTE should be. Does anything appear in the console?

4 years ago
I got 3 errors in the storygame editor. Weirdly though I get nothing in forum posts.

4 years ago

They're probably not related, but what were the errors?

In the developer console, go to the network tab and check "Disable Cache". Do not close the developer console. Refresh. Problem persist?

4 years ago
That did the trick for the editor. Forum posts still don't show the RTE.

4 years ago

Yeah, this is definitely something to do with your computer. If I had to hazard a guess, I think the problem will go away within a few hours. You could delete your cache from your browser and that might also do the trick. Not sure why this is happening to you and it really sucks. If it's not fixed tomorrow then we can revisit it.

4 years ago
Yes, it's weird. Thanks for your help either way.

4 years ago

I just disabled the extension and *hrk* turned on the RTE. I had the same problem you did for a minute and then the box just loaded in suddenly.

Maybe you could try with Firefox?

4 years ago

Btw I'm guessing it works with the extension.

4 years ago

I figured it would, just trying to remove any possible other factors. I'm used to my nice clean text box though and will always retain residual disdain for those using the RTE even once it's totally fixed.

4 years ago

Hahahahaha! You'd code in VIM or EMACS if you were a software engineer. Everyone hates those people.

4 years ago
...I like NVim

4 years ago

See, Mizal.

4 years ago
lol

4 years ago

Cleared chache and nothing happened. Then randomly it started working fine after some minutes. Regardless, it appears to be solved now. Thank you all for your help.

4 years ago

Great! Classic caching bug.

https://xkcd.com/1854/

4 years ago
Why is this on the Newbie board anyway?

4 years ago

I don't think it's a bug.

4 years ago

Because it's 3J's way of insulting me lol

4 years ago

If I resolve a B&P thread then the user who posted it gets credit for reporting the bug. If there's no bug, then that's not fair. I'll move it back if it turns out to not just be a caching issue.

4 years ago
If you're having trouble posting or with the editor it's because you're a retarded noob. Checks out. Please note that everything is working fine for me. (RTE no, yes extension, Firefox because Google can suck it.)