Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Hi, Categories?

4 years ago

First of all, hello!

I just joined today and I have a question regarding the categories. I am writing a choice game at the moment and it is about “you” waking up in hospital (wow original, I know.) and not knowing if the man who greets you is really who he says he is or not. I really don’t know if it should be in horror or in mystery?

I feel like any of the choices I make will lead to spoiling the story a bit except the mystery one, but then people won’t know it’s a “psychological horror” story.

….

Any advise?

Thanks

Hi, Categories?

4 years ago
Really I don't think it matters too much, there are a lot of stories here that blur the lines between multiple genres. I will say though that the Horror category is one of the weaker ones here and could use some new additions. For other random advice, I'd recommend turning off the Rich Text Editor in your profile. (You'll need to log out and then in again for the change to take effect.) It's what's causing the large spaces between paragraphs in your story, and there are some glitches with it that can trip you up if you intend to use scripting or include images. If you're on a PC, you may also want to get the site extension for Firefox or Chrome. Links to the newest versions are in Brad's profile. It lets you enable dark mode and some other features from your profile as well as generally giving the site a facelift. And just whatever you do write, please make sure it's proofread, complete, and polished before publishing it. The two biggest noob mistakes are either getting in over their heads trying to write some epic and then burning out and giving up, or in trying to just push a rushed, sloppy story out the door without giving it the attention it needs. Readers have high standards here and critical, sometimes brutal feedback is encouraged, and of course it helps anywhere to make a good first impression. I'd encourage you to spend some time reading some of the featured stories on the main storygames page in fact, just to see what the editor is capable of and the quality people are looking for. Oh right, and welcome! (I was a little unsure what to make of that profile pic but your story seems okay... >.>)

Hi, Categories?

4 years ago

Thanks you for all the advice! I really do hope to finish this story even if it takes a long time, as I know how irritating it is to read bad work :/, I'll make sure to get the extension as I was wondering why the spaces were so big! 

I have indeed looked over multiple works on this website and, after being thoroughly impressed by some off them, I really want to push myself into creating good content. Especially when I see how seriously everyone takes commenting. That's actually one of the reasons I wanted to join.

Proofreading will indeed be very important for me as I know I can make a loooooot of spelling mistakes, even after re-reading myself for the 1000th time ...

(ps: Yep, didn't know what to put as profile picture but I didn't want to leave it blank either so I put a quick drawing I did, I'll change it when I have something better to put there ;). Thanks again!)

Hi, Categories?

4 years ago
Welcome to the site! Good luck with your story.

Hi, Categories?

4 years ago

Thank you! It will probably take a long time to write but I hope to do something you'll all enjoy. (or at least find interesting ;) )