Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Hello friends!

3 years ago

Hey everybody, I just found this site and started typing a story I've been writing for some time. I have a good question though. I'd be using a party of four people for the series, and every chapter puts you in the role of the next character.  What I mean is Chapter 1, 2, 3, and 4 are lived in four different perspectives. But then every following chapter reuses these characters in a pattern. Some chapters use more than 1 character at once and so I need to be able to keep track of all their stats.

My stats are supposed to stick to my characters along the series, and I've got it all written down, but I can't find out how to have 4 distinct characters with their respective stats.  I want Chapter 1 to 4 to have fresh stats for every new character I present, but then at chapter 5, when the first hero comes back into action, the final stats for chapter 1 would come in account, and so on... Is it possible? 
Just wondering, otherwise I'm gonna reset the stats every chapter I guess..

Thanks in advance for your response.

I can't describe how happy I am to find this site, I was longing to share my story to fellow readers!
Jeff. 

Hello friends!

3 years ago
Welcome!

Not gonna lie, this all might be a pretty complicated for a first story game. A properly branching story with choices tracked from even one perspective over a big adventure can be a lot of work as it is. Maybe you should try something smaller scale while you're getting the hang of the editor?

I'd recommend reading and rating a few featured stories on the site as well just to see some of the possibilities with the format.

But anyhow, as for your question on stats, it's just a matter of variables, and you're not limited by anything there. Just make a many as you need and have the game set them to whatever or check them as needed.

You may need to go into editor features in Storygame Properties to set them to advanced if you haven't already.

Hello friends!

3 years ago

Thanks for your response!

Perhaps you underestimate my resolve. I've been toying around with the editor all night and got a hang of how it works. I've read a few stories last night as well and will keep doing so whenever I have the chance. I transcripted over 10 000 words only last night, while figuring out how the editor works. Thank the tutorials and explanations for that. I woke up with the answer to my own question.

Let's say I have 4 characters. If I use variables Life1, Life2, Life3, and Life4, for example, that would allow me to have the life stat for all characters, or so I believe. Gonna test that today and fix it all up. It takes time to make a good story, but I've got a good one, and the passion of it won't end.  
No hard work will stop me now that I've found this site, which makes everything possible :)

Hello friends!

3 years ago
Damn, sounds like you've been busy. Good luck then!

And yep, that's how it works. The editor isn't super complex, but if you've got the basics of variables and scripting down that covers 80% of most scenarios you'll come up with.

$DEST and on page scripting will be useful to know too...it sounds like you already know your way around this stuff, but just use the advanced editor board if you have anymore questions.

Hello friends!

3 years ago

Actually, I still need to figure out how to master the scripting part. Links and variables are easy, but scripting is new to me and I need to read more about it to fully understand. I've been using the advanced editor board from the start but haven't included any scripting yet. One thing at a time, but I'll manage eventually I'm sure. 

What's $DEST?

Hello friends!

3 years ago

Hello friends!

3 years ago

Oh yeah haha I just got there in my read, started with the basics. Thanks!